Voices from the Past
California State University, Chico, is the place it is today because of the many people over its 125-year history who have dedicated themselves to making it the best university it can be. It has taken presidents and other administrators, faculty, staff, students, and dedicated Chico community members giving of their hearts and minds, their time and their talent. In these video clips, you will meet some of these people.
Ted Meriam (1911–2001), son of Morrison E. Meriam, a professor at Chico State Normal School at the time the Normal School burned. Meriam was a CSU Trustee and a lifelong supporter of CSU, Chico. Meriam Library is named after his family.
Glenn Kendall (1901–2003), president of Chico State College from 1950 to 1966. A beloved president, Kendall oversaw great expansion in both the student body and the physical campus during his tenure. He was dedicated to the regional mission of the college and traveled throughout its rural nine counties, connecting with citizens and reviving the college advisory board.
Harlen Adams (1904–1993), executive dean during the expansion years under Kendall. He worked at Chico State from 1939 until his retirement in 1974, teaching speech, serving as dean of education, and executive dean. Harlen Adams Theatre was dedicated to him in 1974.
Eunice Toussaint, staff at Chico State from 1955 until her retirement in 1978, most of that time in the Office of Advising and Orientation. Her daughter, Susan Toussaint, is currently the director of the AS Child Development Lab.
John Sutthoff, administrator and professor at Chico State from 1960 until his retirement in 1990. He came to Chico State to serve as executive assistant to President Glenn Kendall. After Kendall’s retirement, he served under President Robert Hill. When he returned to academia as a professor in journalism, he was instrumental in establishing the School of Communication. He supervised student teachers, and he was the first to take students to Ireland.