"Good advising may be the single most underestimated characteristic of a successful college experience."
The beginning of your son or daughter’s university education is an exciting time. There are many things to learn and so many choices to make. We encourage you to read the following information to find answers to common questions and concerns as well as to become more informed about important information related to the college experience.
What first-year students would like their parents to know:
- Being a full-time student is like having a full-time job.
- There are other expenses in addition to tuition.
- College is not a 9 - 5 job; evening and weekend study is required.
- Enormous amounts of time are demanded by college course work.
- Administrative processes take time and may not be completed within a single visit.
- There is a great amount of social stress that is caused by the transition from high school to college.
- Students feel a great amount of academic stress in the first year of college.
- Academic expectations and demands are much greater!
There is information unique to your incoming freshman and the “First Year Experience”. The more you know the easier it will be for you to assist your son or daughter to be a successful student.The CSU, Chico Alumni association is a great way for parents to become involved, stay connected and support scholarships! Also, take time to sign-up for the Parents e-newsletters! View the Academic Calendar for important dates and deadlines relating to admissions, registration, fee payment, adding and dropping courses, financial aid, and more.