EPT, ELM, and Early Start Program (ESP)
Enrollment Requirement for First-time Freshmen
The CSU wants to help first-time freshmen get an “Early Start” in their preparation for college level work. New freshmen who are deemed not ready for college-level English and/or math will need to start the remediation process no later than the summer before their first term.
If it is determined that you need remediation in either English or math or both, you must take steps to address this requirement. You will be notified throughout the process of application, admission, and registration about this requirement. Once you have applied, you can find your most current exemption status via your Student Center within your Portal Account. Review already applied? for how to activate.
1. Do you need to take the English Placement Test (EPT) and/or Entry Level Math (ELM) test?
Take the EPT if:
- Early Assessment Program (EAP): test scores (from STAR results) indicate “not yet demonstrating readiness for CSU or participating CCC college-level English”
- Early Assessment Program (EAP): test scores (from STAR results) indicate “ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level English-Conditional”, but you are not completing an approved year-long English course in your senior year with a C- or better.
- SAT Critical Reading score is less than 500
- ACT English score is less than 22
- AP Language and Composition or AP Literature and Composition score is less than 3
- You did not take an approved college transferable English course (Area A2) and earned a C- or better. See your academic advisor or check the ASSIST course transfer website for more information.
and/or take the ELM if:
- Early Assessment Program (EAP): test scores (from STAR results) indicate “not yet demonstrating readiness for CSU or participating CCC college-level mathematics”
- Early Assessment Program (EAP): test scores (from STAR results) indicate “ready for CSU or participating CCC college-level mathematics-Conditional”, but you are not completing an approved year-long math course in your senior year with a C- or better or you are not completing a supervised e-Learning course.
- SAT Math score is less than 550
- SAT Subject Math (level 1 or 2) is less than 550
- ACT Math score is less than 23
- AP Calculus or AP Statistics score is less than 3
- You did not take an approved college transferable math course (Area A4 or B4) and earned a C- or better. See your academic advisor or check the ASSIST course transfer website for more information.
Exemptions: The following students will not be required to participate in Early Start for fall 2014:
- International students and residents of states other than California (non-residents).
- Students participating in the CSU, Chico Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Summer Bridge Program.
2. Register for the EPT and/or ELM.
- We strongly encourage you to take the EPT and/or ELM by March and no later than the May 3, 2014 system-wide test date. Testing any later may delay registration for fall courses.
3. Do you need to enroll in the Early Start Program based on your EPT and/or ELM scores?
- Your score on the English Placement Test (EPT) is less than 147.
- Your score on the Entry Level Math Test (ELM) is less than 50*.
- *If you are attending CSU, Chico this fall with a score of 42-48 on the ELM, you will be invited to participate in an ELM workshop put on through the Math Department. Participation in this workshop will satisfy the ESP Math requirement. Upon completion of the workshop, you are encouraged to re-take the ELM. If you earn a passing score of a 50 or higher, you will be eligible to enroll in a general education math course this fall. Questions about registration for this workshop should be directed to the Center for Regional and Continuing Education at 530-898-6105.
4. How to Enroll in the Early Start Program:
Please visit the Chico State Early Start Website for details on Early Start courses, fees, registration information, and more.
- Printable Early Start Program Guidelines for summer 2014 (pdf)
- Search Early Start course options
- Find your EAP Statuses online
- ESP Petition for Exception Form (pdf)
- CSU, Chico Accessibility Resource Center
- CSU, Chico Early Start Video
- EPT/ELM Information
- CSU Success Early Start Info
- CSU English Success
- EPT Exam Prep
- Focus on English (pdf)
- CSU Math Success
- ELM Exam Prep
- ELM sample problem booklet (pdf)
- Focus on Math (pdf)