Eligibility Requirements

Transfer Students

Upper-Division Transfers

Upper-division applicants must meet the following requirements (summer or intersession work completed during the term immediately prior to enrollment cannot be used for eligibility):

  • Complete at least 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units)
  • Complete at least 30 semester units of general education with a C- or better. The 30 units must include all of the general education requirements in communication (oral communication, English composition, critical thinking), and one course in college-level mathematics (course after intermediate algebra.)
  • Have a cumulative transferable grade point average of at least 2.0 or better* in college course work.
  • Be in good academic standing at the last institution attended.

*Impaction Criteria: CSU, Chico is an impacted campus for upper-division transfer students. If we are able to accommodate students from outside of our local admission area, they may be held to a higher GPA requirement in addition to meeting the general CSU transfer admission requirements. That GPA requirement will be decided based on the characteristics of the applicant pool.

Local admission area is defined as 30 or more transferable units from one or more of the following community colleges: Butte College, College of the Siskiyous, Feather River College, Lassen College, Shasta College, Sierra College (coursework completed through Tahoe-Truckee campus and Nevada County Campus only), or Yuba College.

PLEASE NOTE:  If your general education math, English, oral communication, and/or critical thinking courses are in progress at the time of application, you must provide verification of your grade in these courses before you will be allowed to register for classes at Chico. Please use this Confirmation of Final Grade form (pdf).

Impacted Majors

Selecting an impacted major will not affect an applicant’s chances of being admitted to Chico State. Students interested in an impacted major are encouraged to visit the following webpages to learn more about major requirements.

Music - Recording Arts


Lower-Division Transfers

Please Note: CSU, Chico is not accepting applications from lower-division transfer students (less than 60 units by the time of enrollment at CSU, Chico).

If you would like more information regarding the transfer process and what you should be doing to become eligible, check out the Future Wildcat Transfer Students page.