Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)
WUE is a scholarship program with the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE).
Through WUE, students pay a reduced out-of-state tuition fee. WUE students pay 150 percent of the standard resident tuition at CSU, Chico. These savings make tuition considerably less than a traditional non-resident student.
Students can save up to $8,424 each year in the WUE program.
New freshman and transfer students enrolling for the first time may apply for the WUE scholarship.
- WUE scholarships are not available to students declaring the following majors: Liberal Studies Online, Nursing, Sociology Online, and Social Science Online.
- Students must be a resident of one of the following states: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming.
- Students must maintain full-time enrollment (at least 12 units) each semester and remain in good standing with the institution.
- WUE students must declare their intent to maintain their legal domicile in their home WICHE state at the time of their application.
- Students are welcome to apply before they have been admitted to the University. However, we will not review, process or inform you of the decision until after you have been admitted.
- Students must request the WUE tuition rate before they enroll in courses and pay tuition fees at CSU, Chico.
- Students pursuing a second bachelor's degree or master's degree are not eligible to participate in the WUE program.
While participating in WUE, students are not eligible for California resident tuition. Students cannot apply time accrued while participating in the WUE program to establish California residency. Review more information on obtaining CA residency for tuition purposes.
Students may receive WUE tuition for four years or until the completion of the bachelor’s degree.
|2014-15 Estimated Budget for WUE Participants|
|WUE tuition and fees*||$9,738|
|Room & Board||$11,208|
|Total academic year budget||$25,150|
* Non-residents not participating in the WUE program pay $372 per semester unit in addition to state fees.
|2014-15 Estimated Budget|
|Savings up to $8,424|
Once you have submitted an application for admission through CSU Mentor, please complete the WUE Contract and return it to the WUE Coordinator at:
Office of Admissions
Student Services Center
Chico, CA 95929-0722
or FAX to: 530-898-6456
Q: How do I know I have received the WUE scholarship?
After you submit the WUE contract, you will be notified with a Confirmation of Participation letter. This letter is only applicable if you are admitted to the University. You will also receive notification in the Student Center within your CSU, Chico Portal.
Q: Do I need to reapply for the WUE each year?
No, the WUE scholarship is good for four years or until you graduate, whichever comes first. You do not need to reapply for the WUE scholarship for each of those four years you attend Chico State. However, if you leave the University and do not complete a planned educational leave form, you would need to reapply to the program when you reapply to the University.
Q: What if I want my major to be nursing or a major that you are not accepting WUE applications from?
The nursing program is not open to students receiving the WUE savings. Students who apply to nursing will not be considered for the WUE program. The same will also apply when declaring any online program as a field of study.
If you are currently receiving the WUE scholarship and want to become a nursing student, (or any of the other mentioned programs,) you would need to complete a WUE request to withdraw form found in the Office of Admissions and establish California residency.
Q: What if it takes me more than four years to graduate?
The WUE scholarship is good for as long at it takes you to complete your degree.
Q: What if I want to become a California resident for tuition purposes?
As a current WUE recipient, you would need to complete the WUE request to withdraw form found at the Office of Admissions. Once you are granted a withdrawal from the program, you will then be able to start accruing time towards California residency. Check with the Office of Admissions on the process of obtaining California residency.
Q: How do I find how much WUE fees will be each semester?
The most up-to-date and accurate information on WUE fees can be found on the Student Financial Services (SFIN) website. The WUE amount is listed under fee waivers.
Q: What if I want to study abroad?
Great! Studying abroad is an amazing experience. As a WUE scholarship recipient you will need to talk to the Study Abroad office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-898-5415 and complete the paperwork in order to maintain your WUE status.
We will accept applications for admission August 1-31, 2014. See our Spring Admission Notice for further information. Submit your WUE contract to the Office of Admissions after you've submitted your CSU Mentor application.
We will accept applications for admission October 1-November 30, 2014.