Planned and Estate Gifts
The Office of Planned Giving helps our alumni, parents, and friends make future gifts through their estate or current gifts that provide lifetime income. We are committed to helping you establish a gift plan that is carefully designed to meet your financial and personal objectives and that reflects your philanthropic interests.
A variety of gift plans may reduce or eliminate capital gains taxes, income taxes, and estate taxes. Some plans may provide lifetime income. Below are samples of the type of planned and estate gifts donors can make.
To learn more about your planned giving options contact Gary Salberg at 530-898-5297 or email@example.com.
Information and Tools for Financial Advisors
Types of Gifts
- BEQUESTS BY WILL OR LIVING TRUST: a gift to Chico State that specifies an amount or a percentage of an estate.
- LIFE INSURANCE: a life insurance policy that names Chico State as a beneficiary.
- CHARITABLE GIFT ANNUITIES: transfers of cash, securities, or other property to Chico State that provide income tax deductions and stable income for life.
- CHARITABLE REMAINDER TRUSTS: transfers of cash, securities, or other property to Chico State and receive income for up to 20 years.
- CHARITABLE LEAD TRUSTS: a trust designated to make fixed payment to Chico State for a specified term, measured either by someone's life or a selected number of years. After the term ends, the assets of the trust are either returned to the donor or their survivors.
- DONOR-ADVISED FUND: an individual, family, or corporation that makes an irrevocable, tax-deductible contribution to Chico State and at any time thereafter can recommend distributions to campus programs.
- RETIREMENT ACCOUNTS: a retirement fund or IRA that names Chico State as a beneficiary.
- REAL ESTATE: Donating a residence, vacation home, land, or farm that has appreciated in value can avoid capital gains taxation and provide a charitable deduction for the full fair market value of the property. See more information on donating real estate to CSU, Chico.
- STOCKS AND SECURITIES: this tax-wise method of giving allows you to give appreciated stock to the University and receive a charitable deduction for the full fair market value of the gift. Additionally, you may avoid paying capital gains tax on the appreciation.
Gary Salberg, MSW, CSPG
Director of Major Gifts & Planned Giving
CSU Chico – 0155
Chico, CA 95929