Friends of Herbarium: Wreath Making Workshop, Dec. 8
WREATH MAKING WORKSHOP
Led by Jennifer Jewell and Adrienne Edwards
December 8, 2012, Saturday, 1pm - 3pm
Registration is $20 ($30 to make two wreaths)
For details and a registration form, please go to the web site.
- Bring a little native plant cheer into your Holiday Season!
- Make one or two 10-12 inch wreaths for your home or for gifts!
- Learn some history about wreaths and the plants they are made from!
"Wreaths have been created since ancient times to represent the virtues, harvests and cycles of many cultures and religions. The Greeks used oak leaves to symbolize wisdom. Hollies have been used in wreaths since at least the late Middle Ages to symbolize eternity and new life. Did you know that Hollywood was named for the holly-like appearance of our native toyon. Come create a wreath of fragrant native plant clippings such as white sage, incense cedar, coast redwood, manzanitas, California bay, and other plant clippings and adornments (cones, acorns, oak galls, berries). If you have any plant clippings or decorations you wish to add, we recommend you bring them (including grape vines for a vine-and-wire base)! We will provide a handout on the history of wreaths through time, and some ethnobotanical information on the native materials as well. These small wreaths are fragrant and beautiful on interior mirrors, garden gates, mantelpieces, and tables."
The instructors for this workshop are Jennifer Jewell, garden writer and creator of "In A North State Garden" (www.jewellgarden.com), and Adrienne Edwards, Adjunct Faculty at Chico State, botanist, ecologist and arborist.
AND TAKE A LOOK AT OTHER UPCOMING WORKSHOPS FROM FRIENDS OF THE HERBARIUM:
- February 9, 2013, Saturday, 9am to 12pm -- The Wild Dessert: Preparing Food from Native Plants.
- March 9, 2013, Saturday -- Introduction to Lichen Identification.
- April 27, 2013, Saturday, 10am to 4pm -- Botanical Illustration.
- April 27, 2013, Saturday, 4:30 to 6pm -- Opening the World through Nature Journaling.
- April 27, 2013, Saturday, 7pm -- Exploring the Sierra Nevada: nature, art, and stewardship.
- May 11, 2013, Saturday -- Poaceae I - Springtime Grasses of California Valleys and Foothills.
- June 22, 2013, Saturday -- Introduction to the Willows of California (Salicaceae)
For more information about Friends of the Chico State Herbarium please go to their web site.