#QueerWeek is Here! (October 5-11)
#QueerWeek, a week-long series of events, aims to educate students and members of the Chico community on Queer issues and show support for the LGBTQ+ community.
The theme of the week is: “Seeing Perfectly Queer.” This year’s theme aims to normalize the identities of those in the LGBTQ+ community, ensuring these individuals the right to an enjoyable life.
Listed below is a Queer Week schedule:
- Monday, October 5 “Safe Zone Ally” training facilitated by LGBTQ+ Staff from 12-2pm in Studio A of the Meriam Library. GSEC is also hosting a screening of the film “Stonewall Uprising” from 6-8pm in BMU 203 followed by an open discussion.
- Tuesday, October 6 University Housing and Food Services is hosting an informational fair from 6-8pm in the Sutter Courtyard. An opportunity to tie-dye “Let’s Get Better Together” t-shirts will be available.
- Wednesday, October 7 Catalyst is hosting a Same-Sex Marriage and Healthy Relationships workshop from 4-6pm in Colusa Hall. Chico State Pride is also facilitating "The Queer Games" in Sylvester’s Café from 5:30-7:30pm.
- Thursday, October 8 GSEC is holding an informational fair from 10am-2pm in Trinity Commons while simultaneously hosting activities surrounding queer representation. The Office of Diversity and Inclusion is introducing a group photo at noon in celebration of “Rainbow Day” in Trinity Commons for all individuals wearing colors of the rainbow.
- Friday, October 9 GSEC is hosting a Pride March Pre-Party in BMU 004 from 5-6pm, which will include food, poster-making, and music. The meet-up location and time for commencement of the Pride March is in Trinity Commons at 6pm. After the march, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) will be hosting a Drag Show at the El Rey Theater at 7pm.
- Saturday, October 10 U-Matter has arranged a Suicide Prevention Walk from 10am-1pm beginning in the downtown City Plaza. Later that day, the Stonewall Alliance Center will be putting on the “Coming Out for Art” art show at the Habitat Lab on 13th Street from 6pm-12:30am.
- Sunday, October 11 is National Coming Out Day. Represent by wearing rainbow!
For more information, feel free to visit our office in BMU 004, call us at (530) 898-5724, or email our LGBTQ+ Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.