Looking for Student Leaders to get involved in Cesar Chavez Educational Day
The Cesar Chavez Day Educational Planning Committee is looking for student leaders who are interested in assisting us in educating members of our campus community about Cesar Chavez and deterring negative behavior surrounding the holiday.
7 Steps to Creating Awareness of Cesar Chavez’s Life and Legacy
1. Ask your professor if you can speak to your class for 5 minutes (During the week of March 24-28th)
2. Your speech will provide your classmates with valuable information about Cesar Chavez because many students are not knowledgeable about the life of this important Civil Rights Leader. Please mention the following facts (feel free to include more) about Cesar Chavez:
- Chavez dedicated his life to improving the treatment, pay, and working conditions for farm workers, involving not only Mexican-American workers but also workers of other races and nationalities.
- Chavez brought the national awareness to the dangers of pesticides to workers’ health.
- Chavez was actively involved in the issues of workers’ rights, fair wages, pension benefits, and medical coverage—issues that are still brought up to this day.
- Chavez was instrumental in the passage of the California Agricultural Labor Relations Act, which gave collective bargaining rights to farm workers.
- Chavez was active in the United States Navy for two years beginning at the age of 17.
3. Stress to the class that Cesar Chavez Day is about service to our community and NOT PARTYING.
4. Talk to your classmates about the importance of not participating in any themed events that stereotypes the Latino/a culture, which includes wearing mustaches, sombreros, ponchos, or other paraphernalia. These types of actions are disrespectful and cause a great deal of harm to many members of our Chico State Family.
5. Emphasize the need to be safe and to make smart decisions during this holiday.
6. Ask your classmates if they are interested in honoring Cesar Chavez’s legacy by participating in Cats in the Community, which is a community service event on Monday, March 31st at 9am-2pm. Please sign up online at aschico.com (look for the box on the homepage)
Or go to the following link: http://vols.pt/WPKRM3
They can also attend and/or participate in other events, which are located on our Cesar Chavez Day Educational Campaign Webpage:http://www.csuchico.edu/cesarchavez/index.shtml
7. Show the following video. http://www.csuchico.edu/cesarchavez/youtube-video.shtml
If you are interested in speaking to your class about Cesar Chavez, please email Tray Robinson (email@example.com) the following Information:
- E-Mail Address
- Class(es) where you will speak