Campus Guidelines - Student Travel
As student travel may occur under many different circumstances, the following information should be viewed as general guidelines only. Contact Accounts Payable for more information if the scenarios below do not apply:
- Reimbursement to students for travel: please see our Reimbursement Guide for Student Travel
- International student travel: Faculty or staff traveling internationally with students must receive approval from the Study Abroad Advisory Committee prior to departure. For additional information, please contact the Study Abroad office at extension 5145. Faculty or staff traveling domestically with students must notify Risk Management prior to departure. Risk Management can be reached at extension 6588, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Individual student travel: The regulations and rates governing travel for university employees will apply, including the completion of necessary travel documents. If the student will be driving or using their personal vehicle, contact Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) at ext. 5126 for information regarding Defensive Driver Training. Contact Risk Management, ext. 6588 for information regarding insurance documents.
- Field trips or travel as a class member - Funds Allotted to Faculty: A student traveling as part of a class may have expenses covered by the instructor. Travel advance or reimbursement will not be made to the student. The instructor will complete a Travel Request under his/her name and attach a class roster listing the names of the participating students. A copy of the class roster should be kept in the department and a copy filed with University Police prior to departure. Contact Risk Management at extension 6588 for information regarding insurance documents. A Travel Expense Claim with supporting documentation, in the name of the instructor, should be submitted upon completion of the trip for any travel related expenses. Reimbursement will be made directly to the instructor, unless otherwise appropriate under the Reimbursement Guide.
- Blanket travel request for field trips: A blanket Travel Request from an instructor may be submitted at the beginning of each semester listing all known, one day, field trip dates. If trip dates are unknown, a separate Travel Request must be filed for each trip as it is scheduled. If trip dates need to be changed due to inclement weather or other reason, an e-mail to Accounts Payable at email@example.com will be sufficient notification to amend the Travel Request on file.