The Defensive Driver Training requirement must be met by the traveler prior to renting a vehicle. To verify the traveler's Defensive Driver Training status, use a Portal log-in and password to access the Verification page.
CRBTA (Car Rental Business Travel Account) is a process by which car rental agencies (Enterprise and National) directly bill a campus chartfield avoiding out-of-pocket expenses by the traveler.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car is the primary contracted car rental agency for State travel.
- Reservations can be made directly with Enterprise via the internet or by phone at 800-736-8222. A current contract number is required for direct billing and can be obtained by emailing Accounts Payable or calling the Accounts Payable Office at 530-898-6426.
- The American Express Government Card or any personal form of payment may be used for Enterprise Rent-A-Car reservations by calling 866-788-7053. The State Contract numbers can be obtained by emailing Accounts Payable or calling the Accounts Payable Office at 530-898-6426.
- Insurance coverage for Collision Damage Waiver and Liability Damage Waiver should be declined by the traveler. These waivers are included in the contract between Enterprise and the CSU.
- After-hour pickup and return (Chico branch only):
- Notify Enterprise via phone to request after hours pick up, (530) 899-1189.
- Obtain a PIN for the lock box located at the Enterprise location at 2267 Esplanade from the Enterprise agent, campus department, or Accounts Payable, ext. 6426.
- Access the box using the PIN to obtain the keys and paperwork. Close the box ensuring it is locked.
- The car will be parked in the Enterprise lot.
- To return a car after hours, park the car in the Enterprise lot and place the keys in the lock box. After closing the box, ensure it is locked.
- To reserve a vehicle contact:
- National (800) 227-7368
- Payment for cars rented through National can be made with the American Express Government Card or any personal form of payment. The State Contract number must be referenced when making reservations. State Contract numbers can be obtained by emailing Accounts Payable or calling (530) 898-6426.
- When renting a vehicle from National, insurance coverage for Collision Damage Waiver and Liability Damage Waiver should be declined by the traveler. These waivers are included in the contract between National and the CSU.
If a vehicle or represented location is not available through Enterprise or National:
- Other rental agencies will be accepted with the purchase of Collision Damage Waiver and Liability Damage Waiver insurance.
- Contact the Office of Risk Management at ext. 6588 for questions regarding rental car insurance.
- Explain the reason for using an agency, other than Enterprise or National, on the Travel Expense Claim under the "Business Remarks".
Car Rentals from agencies not contracted with the State of California:
- Any car rental agency, other than Enterprise or National is considered non-contracted.
- When renting a vehicle from a non-contracted agency:
- the traveler must accept and pay for Collision Damage Waiver and Liability Damage Waiver insurance;
- if a vehicle is available through a contracted agency, but by the traveler's choice, a non-contracted agency is used, the traveler must accept and pay for Collision Damage Waiver and Liability Damage Waiver insurance at their own expense (will not be reimbursed). Fees included in the State of California rental car contracts incurred by the use of the non-contracted agency will not be reimbursed. If the traveler has an at-fault accident, the traveler is legally responsible for all damages sustained by others as well as property damage to the rental vehicle not covered by the insurance.
Personal Use of Vehicles rented for State business is not permitted. Travelers must close the rental agreement at the conclusion of state business and obtain a new rental agreement for personal use.
Renting a vehicle outside the U.S.:
- The University does not contract with car rental agencies outside the U.S.
- When renting a vehicle outside the U.S., travelers must purchase Collision Damage Waiver and Liability insurance. The cost of the insurance will be reimbursed through the Travel Expense Claim process.
- Reservations must be made at least 2 days prior to departure by calling Enterprise Rent-a-Car at:
- Chico Office - (530) 899-1188
- Other Locations - (866) 788-7053
- To ensure expenses are paid through the CRBTA, identify the traveler as a State employee and provide a CSU, Chico contract number. The contract number can be obtained by emailing Accounts Payable or calling 530-898-6426.
- a special rate of $94.99 per day for the 12 Passenger van is available exclusively at the Chico office of Enterprise Rent-a-Car.
Currently, zipcar and zimride vehicles are not approved for University business purposes. However, they are available as a mode of transportation for personal use.