Instructions for Travel
Prior to making travel arrangements, please refer to the CSU Travel Policy.
ALL TRAVEL FORMS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO ACCOUNTS PAYABLE, ZIP 243
Step 1: Before traveling on University business, the traveler should register and complete Defensive Driver Training and consider these other items:
- Register and attend a Defensive Driver Training workshop.
- Any trip requiring the traveler to drive is prohibited until Defensive Driver Training has been completed. Employees operating vehicles while on official business must have a valid California Driver's License, insurance, and a good driving record. Contact Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) to enroll in Defensive Driver Training.
- After attending Defensive Driver Training, complete the Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business form. The form will be kept on file in the employees department or college office and updated at the beginning of each academic year.
- Optional - Apply for an American Express Government Card. This is a personal liability card, for business travel use only. This card will ensure airfare, lodging and car rental at negotiated state rates along with other traveler benefits.
- Optional - Enroll in Direct Deposit by completing and submitting a Direct Deposit Authorization Form. Travel reimbursement checks can be deposited directly to the traveler's financial institution.
Step 2: Prepare "Travel Request Form"
- Due Dates for Travel Requests: When utilizing the Business Travel Account (BTA) or the Car Rental Business Travel Account (CRBTA), a Travel Request must be received by Accounts Payable prior to purchasing an airline ticket or reserving a rental car.
- A Travel Request must be submitted to Accounts Payable, zip 243 at least three (3) business days prior to departure.
- If pre-paid registration over $500 is required or three or more persons are attending the same conference, the Travel Request must be submitted at least five (5) business days prior to departure.
- Travel Request Resources:
Step 3: Make Reservations:
- Use the University's authorized travel agent, TravelStore, to book air, car and hotel reservations. (To register, contact Accounts Payable, extension 6426, for registration code) TravelStore Process Guide
- The Defensive Driver Training requirement must be met by the traveler prior to renting a vehicle. To verify the traveler's Defensive Driver Training status, use the Portal log-in and password to access the Verification page.
- Reserve a rental car or van
- University Bus Reservations- campus owned buses are reserved through Vehicle Reservations using Easy Trip Request
Step 4: Print the form below for use during travel, keep all receipts and have a nice trip!
- Hotel /Motel Occupancy Tax Waiver Form - Complete the form and present to lodging provider. More . . .
Step 5: Prepare and submit a Travel Claim after the trip (claims totaling less than $1.00 will not be paid):
- Due Dates for Travel Expense Claim