Education is our passport to the future,
for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it
– Malcolm x
University Catalog Vision and Mission
University Catalog Vision and
Mission Statements for 2017-2022
The University Catalog is a gateway—an interactive tool—through which potential students and families as well as members of both, the local and world communities, gain an initial exposure to California State University, Chico (Chico State). The ultimate goal is to create a catalog that also serves as a recruiting tool for academic departments, allowing them to highlight empowering examples including:
- work done by current undergraduate and graduate level students, as well as work by program alumni;
- influential, student-run academic programming and events; and
- successful partnerships with the local, community organizations.
Along with degree requirement information, explanations of facilities, and faculty lists, the catalog also provides ALL of the courses offered by the department, department locations, and contact information, as weel as photos displaying exciting happenings within an academic department.
By providing authoritative information on policies, rules and regulations, and expected conduct directly from the CSU system Chancellor’s Office as well as degree requirements, the University Catalog also provides snippets of articles from various on-campus publications highlighting the successes of students within academic department programs. Users gain a more complete picture of Chico State and the resources for success that this beautiful campus offers.
The University Catalog plans to accomplish several smaller goals (over time) to build a product that functions in a way the set forth by the vision ideas and ideals (above). These include:
- Working more closely with the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC) and the Office of Accessible Technology and Services (OATS) to maintain compliance to Section 508 of the American Disabilities Act.
- Working with Creative Media and Technology (CMT) to create, manage, and maintain a mobile catalog website display that automatically formats to fit the users screen/device.
- Continuing to annually, enter mandatory copy supplied by the CSU Chancellor’s Office regarding changes to previous cost estimates, rules, policies, other governing regulations, as well as the governing heirarchy.
- Using “new” content provided by the Office of Public Affairs' various publications (Chico Statements; Experience Excellence; and Inside Chico State, etc.) to create dynamic content for catalog homepage.
- Add additional content (articles, stories, updates) to academic department program page information in catalog, supplied by development officers from each college).
- Work with Applications and Data Services (ADS) to create links on academic faculty pages to the Faculty Expert Database.