Alternate furniture may be provided to students for whom the standard desks and chairs in classrooms are inaccessible due to physical disability. Examples of alternate furniture include padded or supported seating and stand-alone tables.
Please note: This accommodation must be approved by an advisor, and will depend on the symptoms and severity of the student's disability.
- Students requesting alternate furniture need to make the request through their ARC Advisor.
- Requests must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester.
If you have any questions about this accommodation, please contact the Accessibility Resource Center at 530-898-5959.
- The Accessibility Resource Center will make every effort to accommodate requests for alternate furniture using a surplus of adaptive furniture owned by ARC. In cases where ARC cannot locate furniture in its own inventory, ARC will help the student make a request to the academic department in which the class(s) are held.
- The Accessibility Resource Center advisors will inform faculty regarding the placement of specific furniture in classrooms and priority use by the student with a disability during class/lab hours. Furniture is marked "Disability Support Services."
- Should the University need to purchase furniture for the student, ARC will make every effort to procure what the student requests or a reasonable alternative.
- Due to university purchasing procedures, furniture is ordered through specific vendors; this may cause a delay in the receipt of the item. When placing orders, ARC will work diligently with the purchasing office to help ensure prompt delivery.
- Students must bring their own cushions or orthopedic supports, as needed. (The University is not responsible for items left in the classroom.)
- Accessible furniture provided by ARC and CSU, Chico is not prescriptive in nature and should be considered only as a means to improve classroom access.