Working under the direction of the student, lab assistants perform lab procedures in campus labs that the student may not be able to perform.
Please note: This accommodation must be approved by an Advisor, and will depend on the symptoms and severity of the student's disability and the requirements of the course.
- Students must submit a new request for each class every semester.
- Requests must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester.
- Requests may be submitted using the Service Request Portal.
- Notify the Accessibility Resource Center if you change your class schedule.
If you have any questions about this accommodation, please contact the Accessibility Resource Center at 530-898-5959.
- Students are responsible for all the written material produced by lab assistants, including content, sentence structure, punctuation, and spelling.
- Students are responsible for directing the lab assistants' activities.
- Lab Assistants are not permitted to answer questions about the content of the lab assignment or exercise.
- Lab assistants are not responsible for drawing conclusions from lab exercises or assignments.
- Students may request that ARC hire an individual with whom they have previously worked or who they know to possess the skills for the job. ARC, however, reserves the right to make the final hiring decision.
- ARC will clarify the requirements of the job and will train the Laboratory Assistant in the provision of the services. Students are expected to give individual direction to Laboratory Assistants.
- Should the student experience a problem with Laboratory Assistant, they may speak directly to him or her. The student may also meet with an ARC advisor to work towards a solution.
- Laboratory Assistants are provided for academic curriculum support only and may not provide personal assistance.
- ARC reserves the right to discontinue service if any of the above is violated or abused.
- Students are given the opportunity to evaluate the Laboratory Assistants at the end of each semester.