Students with disabilities who need assistance to produce written material may be provided scribe services. Scribes write material dictated by students for examinations, term papers, and other required writing assignments.
Please note: This accommodation must be approved by an Advisor, and will depend on the symptoms and severity of the student's disability and the requirements of the course.
- Students must submit a new request for each class every semester.
- Requests must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester.
- Requests may be submitted using the Service Request Portal.
- Notify ARC if you change your class schedule.
If you have any questions about this accommodation, please contact the Accessibility Resource Center at 530-898-5959.
- Students are responsible for all the written material produced by scribes, including content, sentence structure, punctuation, and spelling.
- Scribes will write only what is dictated to them. They are not permitted to answer questions about the content of the dictated material or to provide tutoring services for students. Students are responsible for adjusting their dictation speed to ensure scribes are able to record everything.
- Students may request that ARC hire an individual with whom they have previously worked or who they know to possess the skills for the job. ARC, however, reserves the right to make the final hiring decision.
- ARC will clarify the requirements of the job and will train the Scribe in the provision of the services. Students are expected to give individual direction to scribes.
- Should the student experience a problem with Scribe, they may speak directly to him or her. The student may also meet with an ARC advisor to work towards a solution.
- Scribes are provided for academic curriculum support only. Scribes are not provided for personal need.
- ARC reserves the right to discontinue service if any of the above is violated or abused.
- Students are given the opportunity to evaluate the Scribe at the end of each semester.