Strategies for Success
- Attend reading comprehension workshops at the Student Learning Center
- Schedule a consultation with a reading specialist.
- Use alternative texts, if eligible.
- Attend study groups.
- Use tutoring services.
- Sit at the front of class.
- Use a tape recorder.
- Borrow notes/compare notes with peers.
- Use study groups, tutoring, and Supplemental Instruction (SI).
- Take a note-taking techniques workshop at the SLC.
- Read ahead to become familiar with course vocabulary.
- Go over notes immediately after class.
- Meet with instructor during office hours to ask questions.
- Attend SLC workshops on exam taking.
- Answer the easy test questions first.
- Allot time according to the point value of the questions.
- Review all returned assignments and exams to analyze errors.
- Use a word processor or electronic speller.
- Use exam accommodations from the ARC.
- Use ear plugs to reduce distractions.
- Use the Student Learning Center Tutors.
- Attend word processing workshops given by Student Computing.
- Use Dragon Natural Speaking if eligible (See ATC section)
- Be sure to understand the writing assignment; do not guess or assume about what is required.
- Attend time management workshop at the Student Learning Center.
- Carry an organizer and use it faithfully.
- Combine all syllabi assignments into one complete calendar of due dates and preparation times needed.
- Develop a schedule and an environment for studying
- Attend each class
- Plan courses each semester carefully with the academic advisor and an ARC advisor.
Top of Page