Educational Use at BCCER
The Big Chico Creek Ecological Reserve is an educational resource serving as an outdoor laboratory, a natural museum, and an outdoor classroom. One goal of BCCER management is to promote and accommodate use of the Reserve for research and educational purposes. The procedures listed below will assist you in your request to use Big Chico Creek Ecological Reserve.
At the BCCER you will find many different habitats and species, as well as geological features and records of human activity. It contains historical sites and features indicative of exploration, mining, logging, homesteading, and ranching, as well as prehistoric sites and features showing ancient and historic Native American habitation and other land uses.
We invite field trips and research in order to use reserve resources to maximize environmental knowledge and appreciation. We believe, however, that a very important lesson to be learned in association with the reserve is how to conduct educational and research activities in ways that maximize learning while minimizing environmental damage. For the sake of future research and interpretation it is essential to preserve these habitats, maintain the physical integrity and sociological sensitivity of historical and archeological sites, and protect the reserve from undue encroachment or damage by human activities.
INSTRUCTIONAL USE. Classes in any subject may be allowed on-site. All instructors must agree to comply with all rules and guidelines for use. Any potential disturbances to the reserve's ecosystem or cultural resources must be clearly described. If applicable, the instructor must provide an approved animal care and use protocol and all required state and federal permits.
CSU, Chico Class Use
- Contact our reserves management staff to discuss your proposed classroom project or activity by calling (530) 342-1371.
- Review our research and education use rules, guidelines and protocol.
- Apply for a use permit use by accessing our online Reserve Access Management System (RAMS). Please provide as much detailed information about your planned classroom project activities as possible. Submit one application for each class request.
- Your request will be evaluated by our reserve management team and you will receive a response to your request in a timely manner.
- Following application approval, arrange your orientation with our BCCER management staff if you are a first time user by calling (530) 342-1371.