A Tradition of Excellence
Chico State has been making history for 125 years
Founded in 1887, Chico State is the second oldest CSU campus and is celebrating its 125th anniversary in 2012. Chico State has a number of ‘firsts,’ including…
- Chico State was the first university in the world to offer graduate degrees via satellite and is a distance education and academic technology trailblazer.
- Our computer science department is the oldest in the CSU system and one of the first in the CSU to be accredited.
- Chico State’s Northeastern California Partnership for Special Education, the first of its kind in the state, has received multiple national honors since its founding in 1988.
- Chico was the first CSU campus to register a “green” building project.
- Associated Students Recycling, founded in 1996, was the first program of its kind in the CSU and top among state campuses for reducing waste.