Student Teams in Engineering Excel at National Competitions
From human powered vehicles to micro-mouse competitions, Chico State engineering students have a long tradition of winning against the best engineering programs in the country.
- Sustainable Manufacturing Program students won the Grand Prize for the 14th time at the prestigious 2013 Society of Manufacturing Engineers AeroDef Conference and Exposition for creating a system that produces an aluminum cylinder head for a piston engine application for general aviation light aircraft.
- Three electrical engineering students won two top awards at the 2008 Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers student design competition. In a rare double win, Chico won the Electromagnetic Compatibility Student Design contest and the Leo L. Beranek Student Travel Award, the fourth consecutive year Chico won this design competition.
- The student chapter of the Society of Automotive Engineers won eighth place overall at the 2009 SAE Baja Oregon international competition, where engineering students design and build an off-road vehicle that will survive the severe punishment of rough terrain.
- Chico State mechanical engineering students won the prestigious 2006 Human Powered Vehicle Challenge West Coast Competition. Chico also won national titles in 1987 and 1998, and in 2011 won first place in speed endurance and second in utility endurance.
- An engineering team from Chico State competed in the international NASA Lunabotics Mining Competition at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Cape Canaveral, Florida, in 2012.