Arts Always in the Spotlight
Over 30,000 lovers of the arts go to exhibits on campus each year, immersing themselves in the cultural life offered by the School of the Arts.
Students and faculty are deeply involved in the arts—on stage, in concerts, in the galleries, and behind the scenes.
- Chico's Jazz X-Press is the only college band invited to the Telluride Jazz Festival (2008, 2010)
- The documentary film El Clásico: More Than a Game, produced entirely by Chico State students, was accepted into the 2012 Barcelona Sports Film Festival.
- The Off Broadways touring ensemble performs at hospitals, schools, and special events throughout Northern California—and, in March 2011, in New York City.
- The $2,000 Kruschke Piano Prize is one of the largest piano performance prizes in California.
- The North State Symphony, a professional orchestra, includes top student musicians and plays in three North State cities.
- Over $100,000 a year in prizes, scholarships, and performance awards are given to students in Theatre, Music, and Art.
- Five campus art galleries feature visiting artists, faculty, and students: The Turner, The University Gallery, The MFA Gallery, The Humanities Center Gallery, and the BFA Gallery.