A Tradition of Excellence
Chico State has been making history for 125 years
Founded in 1887, Chico State is the second oldest CSU campus. We celebrated our 125th anniversary in 2012. Chico State is making history in a number of ways, including…
- Chico State has been named a top-10 regional public university in the West by U.S. News & World Report every year since 1998, when the list originated.
- The University received the best possible score on the U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard, which looks at cost, grad rate, student loan default rate, level of student borrowing, and employment after graduation.
- Chico State was the first university in the world to offer graduate degrees via satellite and is a distance education and academic technology trailblazer.
- Our computer science department is the oldest in the CSU system.
- Chico was the first CSU campus to register a “green” building project.
- Associated Students Recycling, founded in 1996, was the first program of its kind in the CSU and top among state campuses for reducing waste.