Producing the Most Honored Weekly
Student Newspaper Wins Top Awards
Chico State’s student newspaper, The Orion, has been the most honored collegiate weekly in the country for more than a decade.
- The California College Media Association awarded The Orion the 2013–14 top award for General Excellence and third place for Overall Newspaper Design.
- The Orion has consistently placed either first or second at the Associated Collegiate Press National College Journalism Convention for over a decade. In 2014, the newspaper won first place in the print category and second place for its website in the Best of Show competition for four-year weekly college and university newspapers.
- The Orion also won first place general excellence in the California Newspaper Publishers Association’s 2013 Better Newspapers Contest. Staff members won individual awards for best sports story, feature story, and sports photo.
- In 2013, the Associated Collegiate Press awarded The Orion first place in general excellence, second place for multimedia package, and fourth place for its website among “large school” competitors, or schools with more than 10,000 students, in its Best of Show contest.
- The Orion has won 11 National Pacemaker Awards. It is the only newspaper to win the award, considered the highest honor in college journalism, four consecutive years.
- The Associated Collegiate Press Hall of Fame inducted The Orion in 2005.