Upcoming Book in Common-Related Events
All the events listed here are free and open to the public, unless otherwise noted.
- Tuesday, September 13, 12-2 pm, SSC Plaza— Book in Common Campus Kickoff! Join the First-Year Experience team for games, prizes, food, and fun facts about some of the diverse women featured in Gloria Steinem’s autobiography.
- Thursday, September 29, 6-7 pm, Chico City Hall Steps & Lawn— Book in Common Community Kickoff! Chico State President Gayle Hutchinson, President of Butte College Dr. Samia Yaqub, Butte County Supervisor Maureen Kirk, and City Councilwoman Ann Schwab introduce Gloria Steinem’s My Life on the Road. Honored Chico community members and students from both institutions will also participate.
- Monday, Oct. 24, 12-2 pm, Kendall Lawn— “What’s the Issue?”—UNIV 101 Students share their letters to the new President of the United States and focus on key issues of the election—including women’s rights!
- Monday, Oct. 24, 6-8 pm, BMU Auditorium— Wildcat Voter Awareness, Education and Registration event—a lively and interactive evening focusing on the issues, candidates, and the importance of making your voice heard. At the Book in Common booth, learn about Gloria Steinem’s views and experiences with politics & the campaign trail.
- Friday, Nov. 4, 12-1:30 pm, Zingg Recital Hall— “I remember when…” President Hutchinson and other respected women leaders from throughout our campus and broader community will recall key moments they will never forget from the long struggle for women’s rights. Come share your memory at the open mic!
- Date, time & venue TBD— “The Unfamiliar is Enriching!”—First-Year Experience presents an event offering an interesting and dynamic challenge to us all—to live with an “on the road” point of view.
- Date, time & venue TBD— “Women of the Wisdom”—Chico State partners with Four Winds of Indian Education and other valued friends from the North State Tribal communities to honor Native American philosophy and actions—their impact on the Women’s Movement and our lives today.
- Wednesday, March 1, 7:30 pm Laxson Auditorium… Announcement & prices forthcoming…
- March 20-April 5— Know Their Name: Women Printmakers and Shojo Manga Artists. In recognition of Women’s History month, this exhibition celebrates women printmakers in the Turner Print Collection along with a selection of contemporary Shojo Manga women artists.
- Exhibition Talk, Thursday, March 23, 5:30 p.m., Zingg Recital Hall, Arts and Humanities Building, with a reception following at The Turner (Rachel Middleman, Art and Art History, CSU, Chico)
- Shojo Manga Talk, Thursday, April 6, 5:00 p.m., Rowland-Taylor Recital Hall, Performing Arts Building 134 (Masami Toku, Art and Art History, CSU, Chico)