George E. Corson Award application form may be downloaded by CLICKING HERE.
Eligibility: The Applicant Must:
- Be an Active member of Omicron Theta Epsilon.
- Have at least senior standing at the beginning of the next fall
- Be majoring in Biology, Microbiology, or Botany.
- Have completed at least 15 units in biology courses in the major
by the beginning of the next fall semester.
- Have at least an overall GPA of 2.7 and at least a 3.0 GPA in the
courses required for the major at the time the application is
- Must be a full-time student the semester for which the
scholarship is awarded:
- Undergraduate - 12 or more semester units.
- Graduate - 8 or more semester units
- Normally awards will be distributed during the Fall semester
registration. Awards of $600 or may will be split between Fall and
Evaluation: Applicants will be evaluated on the following (Award
not based on financial need):
- GPA in courses required for the major (30%)
- Overall GPA (20%)
- Participation in Omicron Theta Epsilon (20%)
- Biologically related extra-curricular activities (15%)
- Other extra-curricular activities (5%)
- Personal essay (10%)
(percentages represent approximate weights)
Application: Due by March 1 - Each
applicant must submit:
- A personal essay that clearly presents your activities related to
items in the evaluation section of this page; your future academic
plan; your reason for applying for this award; and why you are
qualified to be a recipient of this honor. Remember about 10% of the
evaluation is based on your ability to communicate, in a succinct
fashion, all of the above.
- A transcript of all completed course work.
- GPA total for all courses in major.
- GPA for all coursework - cumulative.
- A list of coursework in progress.
- A list of anticipated courses for the next academic year.
- The general university scholarship application form.
Scholarship Selection Committee is composed of: Dean of Natural
Sciences, Omicron Advisor(s), Faculty member other than Omicron
Advisor(s), Omicron President or other officer and an active Omicron
member other than an officer.