Teacher Placement Files Discontinued
The California State University, Chico Career Center is phasing out of the teacher placement file service. Technological advances have diminished the need for placement files by school district hiring officials; and credential students and alumni prefer to self-manage and distribute their application materials when applying for teaching positions. Most, if not all, educational hiring situations in California are handled through the website Edjoin.org which, in effect, is the current placement file service. If you have a placement file with the Career Center, please contact our office with your current address so we can mail it to you or come by our office to pick it up.
TO ENSURE PRIVACY OF ALL RECORDS, REMAINING FILES WILL BE SHREDDED EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 31, 2009. The Career Center is available to answer any questions regarding self-managing your file and assist in your job search. CSU, Chico Career Center, 400 West First Street, Student Services Center, Room 270, Chico, CA 95929-0700. Phone: (530) 898-5253.
The Career Center's services are available to currently enrolled students and alumni. Services for educators include
- Assistance in preparing a professional "self-managed" file that will help you throughout your teaching career. Individual appointments and assistance as well as drop-in hours from 4-5 p.m. in the Career Center (SSC 270) are offered on a daily basis. Call 530-898-5253 to schedule an appointment.
- Counseling and guidance with respect to professional letters of inquiry, résumé review, interview techniques, workshops, ethics, supply and demand trends, application procedures.
- Participation in the annual spring Educational Recruitment Fair. This fair is generally held in April of each year.
- Web site access: We list many excellent educational job search sites on our home page. Go to: Students & Alumni – Get a Job or Internship – Online Job Postings – Teaching and Education to find teaching job links. We particularly recommend Ed-Join.org, but also recommend looking at the many other sites listed. Most school districts in California use Ed-Join as their primary recruitment service. Each state has a version of EdJoin.org for teaching jobs outside the state, for example, Google “teaching jobs in Oregon,” etc.
- Computer lab: We provide a computer lab in the Career Center (SSC 270) with access to scanners to upload documents, and a laser printer for your use from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., daily during the school year. Call for hours during the summer and break periods, 530-898-5253.
- Access to our Wildcat Recruiting database.
- E-mail service of local job leads.
Please note that the Career Center does not control your placement file, nor do we have a connection with or control of transcripts, credentials, or CBEST scores.