- Organize your first page to highlight your strengths.
- Headings should be bold and in capital letters.
- Information placed at the top of the page stands out more than information in the middle or bottom of the page.
- Left-hand side of the CV stands out more than right-hand side, so put the most pertinent information on the left.
- Use one professional looking font (e.g. Times) and readable size (e.g. size 12), not smaller than size 10.
- Grammatical or spellings errors can cause your CV to be discarded.
- Print your CV on white, ivory, or cream paper; print only on one side.
- Include your name and page number on each page.
- Be consistent; use the same format throughout.
- Invite a peer or colleague to critique your CV.
The Career Center assists students and alumni through all phases of career development to bridge the transition between the academic environment and the world of work.