2003-205 University Catalog spacer
California State University, ChicoTable of ContentsSearchDegreesCoursesScheduleHome spacer
health services pic 1 health services pic 2 health services pic 3 health services pic 4

Student Health Services

The Student Health Center is an out-patient clinic staffed by physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants which provides medical care to students enrolled in the university in accord with policies set by the Board of Trustees of the California State University. Services include the treatment of acute conditions, injuries, and illnesses.

During the academic year, the Student Health Service is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and from 9:15 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday.

The following services are available.

Acute Care Clinic

The acute care area of the Student Health Center functions as a walk-in clinic. It is designed to accommodate students who wish to receive immediate medical attention.


Appointments are available for those who desire an appointment and for those who require diagnostic or consultative services beyond those available in the acute care clinic. Appointments may be made in person or by telephone.

Family Planning

A comprehensive family planning program is available. It includes a complete examination, laboratory testing, a Pap test, and consultation.

Laboratory and X-ray

Laboratory and x-ray examinations complement the out-patient clinic service. The majority of tests ordered by Student Health Service personnel are provided without charge. However, some specialized tests cannot be supported by the Student Health Service, and the cost of these tests is the student’s responsibility.


Prescribed medications may be obtained at the Student Health Service. Prescriptions from outside physicians can be filled if the medication is stocked by the pharmacy. Some non-prescription health care items are also available. A nominal fee is charged to cover the cost of all items purchased at the pharmacy.


The following immunizations are available: Hepatitis A&B, flu shots, meningitis, MMR (measles/mumps/rubella), polio, tetanus, and travel immunizations. Allergy shots are administered to students who have their own medication and appropriate medical documentation.

Health Insurance

Services at the Student Health Service are provided at either no cost or minimal cost during the academic year. Medical conditions which exceed the scope of the Student Health Service and require the care of outside physicians and facilities are the financial responsibility of the student. In order to provide protection against these costs, an optional low-cost health insurance plan is available.

Health Education Information

Students concerned with health-related problems are encouraged to consult with Student Health Service staff. In addition, health education literature is available in the lobby.

Services Not Available

Dental care
Eye refractions (glasses)
Infirmary care

Health Service Fee

The university believes that comprehensive health services, as provided for in Trustees’ policy, are essential because of the residential nature of our campus. Funding for the Student Health Service, at least in part, comes from a health service fee which students pay as part of their registration fees.

This fee enables the Student Health Service to provide the following services at no cost to students:

  • Evaluation by a physician or nurse practitioner/physician assistant
  • Laboratory tests
  • Physical examinations
  • X-rays
  • Family planning services
  • Specialized gynecologic services
  • Allergy injections
  • Immunizations
  • Orthopedic supplies

Student Health Advisory Council

The Student Health Advisory Council serves in an advisory capacity to the Student Health Service. This council, consisting of students and faculty, meets regularly throughout the academic year.

Summer Care

Students who have been enrolled in the spring semester are eligible for service during the summer months. A nominal fee is charged for each summer visit.


The “on-campus” emergency number is “171"
Use this number on campus only for emergency fire, police, or medical aid reporting. This number goes directly to the University Police Department, which is trained to respond appropriately to emergenices of any nature. The non-emergency number for the University Police Department and Campus Escort Service is 898-5372.

The “off-campus” emergency number is “911"
Use this number from pay phones and all off-campus locations for community based emergency fire, police, or medical services. Non-emergency calls to police, fire, or ambulance services may be directed to the appropriate business number for the agency. See the telephone book for numbers for your locale. You may also dial for community based emergency assistance from a standard on-campus phone by dialing 9-911.

Community Medical Assistance

The Student Health Service meets most students’ medical needs. However, if health care is needed which is beyond the scope of the Student Health Service or when the clinic is closed, there are several extended-hour health clinics and one hospital within blocks of the campus.