The School of Education’s programs are built around a conceptual framework that values preparing effective, reflective and engaged educators who know subject matter content and practice effective pedagogy. Our graduates are committed to diverse learners, informed decision making, civic responsibility and working collaboratively in educational settings. The School of Education, in partnership with other academic units and constituents from the public schools, is a member of the National Network for Educational Renewal.

Basic Teaching Credentials

The Multiple Subject Credential authorizes the holder to teach all subjects in public schools organized in self-contained classrooms, kindergarten through grade twelve. The Single Subject Credential authorizes the holder to teach the subject designated on the credential in schools organized by subject departments, kindergarten through 12.

Multiple and Single Subject Credentials authorize the holder to teach all students in the regular classroom, including English learners.

The Bilingual, Crosscultural, Language, and Academic Development (BCLAD) Emphasis to a Multiple or Single Subject Credential authorizes the holder to provide English language development and specially designed academic instruction in English to English learners as well as to teach learners in their primary language.

The Education Specialist Credential with an emphasis in Mild/Moderate Disabilities authorizes the holder to instruct individuals in grades K–12, and adults, who have specific learning disabilities, mental retardation, other health impairments, and/or serious emotional disturbance.

The Education Specialist Credential with an emphasis in Moderate/Severe disabilities authorizes the holder to instruct individuals in grades K–12, and adults, with autism, mental retardation, deaf-blindness, serious emotional disturbance, and/or multiple disabilities.

The Multiple and Single Subject and Education Specialist Internship Programs are alternative pathways to a credential designed to meet the credentialing needs of candidates who become employed as teachers.

Advanced Credentials

Other programs leading to California specialist or service credentials are available. See the following page for a listing of programs.

CLAD for Experienced Teachers (EL Authorization)

The School of Education offers individual courses and workshops for classroom teachers who wish to enhance their skills in planning, teaching, and evaluating learning. Details about current offerings may be obtained by consulting the department offices. Courses leading to a CLAD (Crosscultural, Language, and Academic Development) certificate are available.

Master of Arts Programs

The MA in Education is available with a variety of options and advising patterns. See the following pages for a complete description.

Career Outlook

California and the nation continue to have unmet needs for fully qualified teachers. The demand is increasing sharply and is expected to continue for many years. Salaries also are rising and recognition of the need for excellence in the profession remains strong. For more specific information, consult the Career Planning and Placement Office, 530-898-5253.

Special Resources

Scholarships and financial aid programs, including the Assumption Program for Loans in Education (APLE), are available for students interested in careers in education. An application for all California State University, Chico scholarships is due February 1 in the Financial Aid Office.

The Education Services Center (EDSC) provides a one-stop link and information clearinghouse for students preparing to serve as teachers, specialists, and school administrators. Information and descriptions of the CSU, Chico professional education programs and their prerequisites are offered at and at small group information workshops, held weekly, in the EDSC office.

A Credential Analyst is available to evaluate course work for specific credential requirements and for advising out-of-state applicants who wish to obtain a California credential. For individual advising and evaluations, call the office of Credential Services.