The Master of Arts in Music
Note: The following is different from what appears in the printed catalog. The below information is current and correct.
Note: Admissions to the Master of Arts in Music is currently suspended. Please contact the Music Department or the Office of Graduate Studies to learn the current status of the program.
Course Requirements for the Master's Degree: 30 units
Continuous enrollment is required. A maximum of 9 semester units of transfer and/or CSU Chico Open University course work may be applied toward the degree.
Graduate Time Limit:
All requirements for the degree are to be completed within five years of the end of the semester of enrollment in the oldest course applied toward the degree. See "Graduate Education" in the University Catalog for complete details on general degree requirements.
Prerequisites for Admission to Conditionally Classified Status:
1. Satisfactory grade point average as specified in "Admission to Master's Degree Programs" in the University Catalog.
2. Approval by the department and the Office of Graduate Studies.
3. An acceptable baccalaureate in Music from an accredited institution, or an equivalent approved by the Office of Graduate Studies.
Prerequisites for Admission to Classified Status:
In addition to any requirements listed above:
1. Completion of the aptitude and advanced music portions of the Graduate Record Examination (to be taken before the end of the first semester the student takes any classes on his/her MA program as a graduate student at CSU, Chico).
2. Fulfillment of any requirements prescribed as a result of interviews and, if needed, audition or diagnostic examinations.
Advancement to Candidacy:
In addition to any requirements listed above:
1. Classified graduate standing and completion at the University of at least 9 units of the proposed program.
2. Formation of the graduate advisory committee in consultation with the Graduate Coordinator.
3. Development of an approved program in consultation with the Graduate Coordinator and the graduate advisory committee.
Requirements for the MA in Music:
Completion of all requirements as established by the department, the Graduate Coordinator, the graduate advisory committee, and the Office of Graduate Studies, to include:
1. Completion of an approved program consisting of 30 units of 400/500/600-level courses as follows:
(a) At least 18 units in the discipline of music, including the following core: MUSC 601, MUSC 602, MUSC 603, and 2 units selected from performance courses.
(b) Two-thirds of the units required for the degree in 600-level courses.
(c) Not more than 9 semester units of transfer and/or extension credit (correspondence courses and U.C. extension course work are not acceptable).
(d) Not more than 15 units taken before admission to classified status.
(e) Not more than a total of 10 units of Independent Study (697), Master's Recital (616), and Master's Thesis (699T) or Master's Project (699P); not more than 6 units of Master's Thesis (699T) or Master's Project (699P).
2. Completion of a thesis or other culminating activity approved by the graduate advisory committee, the Graduate Coordinator, and the Thesis Editor. Tapes and programs of recitals must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies and the department for filing. Any written material for the MA must be given to the Graduate Coordinator in final form at least two weeks before the Office of Graduate Studies deadline.
3. Satisfactory completion of a comprehensive final examination (written or oral) in the field of study.
4. Approval by the Graduate Coordinator and the Graduate Coordinators Committee on behalf of the faculty of the University.
Graduate Requirement in Writing Proficiency:
Writing proficiency is a graduation requirement.
Music degree students will demonstrate their writing competence through the successful completion of MUSC 601, Research Methods and Bibliography.
Graduate Grading Requirements:
All courses in the major (with the exceptions of Independent Study - 697, Comprehensive Examination - 696, Master's Project - 699P, and Master's Thesis - 699T) must be taken for a letter grade, except those courses specified by the department as ABC/No Credit (400/500-level courses), AB/No Credit (600-level courses), or Credit/No Credit grading only. A maximum of 10 units combined of ABC/No Credit, AB/No Credit, and Credit/No Credit grades may be used on the approved program (including 697, 696, 699P, 699T and courses outside the major). While grading standards are determined by individual programs and instructors, it is also the policy of the University that unsatisfactory grades may be given when work fails to reflect achievement of the high standards, including high writing standards, expected of students pursuing graduate study.
Students must maintain a minimum 3.0 grade point average in each of the following three categories: all course work taken at any accredited institution subsequent to admission to the master's program; all course work taken at CSU, Chico subsequent to admission to the program; and all courses on the approved master's degree program.
Graduate Advising Requirement:
Advising is mandatory each semester for all Music majors. Consult the Graduate Coordinator for specifics.