Information for Students
There are a variety of scholarships and internships available to students. Scholarships are grants to students who apply and meet specific criteria. Students who apply for a given scholarship are ranked and a limited number of students receive the award. Internships represent work experience for which students receive internship course credit.
An internship is intended to be an opportunity for real-world work experience in a supervised job that is relevant to your studies. You must enroll in a section of the CDES 489 Internship class at the beginning of the semester to receive academic credit for internship experience. A total of 60 internship hours is required for each academic unit. The section number of each section of the class is equal to the number of units the section earns.
- CDES 489-01 = 1 unit (60 hours of work required)
- CDES 489-02 = 2 units (120 hours of work required)
- CDES 489-03 = 3 units (180 hours of work required)
- CDES 489-04 = 4 units (240 hours of work required)
- CDES 489-05 = 5 units (300 hours of work required)
- CDES 489-06 = 6 units (360 hours of work required)
How to enroll
- Find an Employer. Secure an agreement with a potential on-campus or off-campus employer who will provide the internship. Some organizations need interns every semester. These include the student radio station, KCSC, and the Orion student newspaper. Other internships are advertised by the department via email as they become available. You can also find internships by visiting the CSU, Chico Career Center. Also express your interest in internships to your teachers and advisers. They will keep you in mind should they know of employers who need interns, or have a need themselves.
- Complete Internship Enrollment Form. Download and print the form below. Fill it out with the person who will supervise your internship and ensure that it is signed by both yourself and your supervisor.
Internship Enrollment Form (PDF)
- Submit Internship Enrollment Form to Department Office. Submit the signed internship enrollment form to the CDES department office in THMA 205 prior to the end of semester week 3. Be sure your supervisor has signed the form or it will not be accepted. You will be enrolled in the internship (CDES 489) and the course will appear on your BBLearn space.
- Access BBLearn for Further Instructions. After you are enrolled, you can access more information on the Blackboard Learn course accessible through the portal.
Requirements for Successful Completion
During the internship
- Keep weekly one-paragraph journal entries with reflections on the experience
- Complete your Journal using Blackboard Learn. See your CDES489 course on Blackboard Learn for more information
At the end of the internship, and before the end of finals week, submit the following:
- Your evaluation of the internship
- Your internship supervisor must also submit an evaluation as well as certify the number of hours and weeks you have worked
- See Blackboard for student and employer evaluation forms