Portfolio Review Policy
The Graphic Design portfolio review is a required component for all Graphic Design students. It is held each semester to assess the work of students who have completed the following introductory courses:
- CDES 206 - Introduction to Photography and Digital Imaging
- ARTS 125 - Basic Drawing
- CDES 132 - Basic Graphic Design
- CDES 283 - Digital Print Production
A student must pass portfolio review in order to take advanced courses in the Graphic Design program.
About the Process
- Students prepare designs based on instructions provided each semester.
- Work is reviewed by judges consisting of both faculty and practicing professionals.
- Work is scored by each judge against a rubric which considers each student¹s visualization skills, analytical skills, technical skills, creative abilities and writing skills.
- Demonstration of strong academic achievement and a solid work ethic is expected.
Students who pass the review go on to take advanced courses in Graphic Design and receive a BA in Communication Design with an emphasis in Graphic Design. Students who do not pass the review may submit their work for reconsideration in subsequent semesters. Because successful completion of portfolio review is a requirement for the degree, all pre-portfolio Graphic Design students are advised to have an alternate major in mind should they not pass portfolio review.