Curriculum Forms and Documents

Listed below is nearly every possible form and document related to the Civil Engineering program. They are listed by title in the left-hand column with a corresponding brief description in the right-hand column. Just click on the title to download the corresponding form or document.

Documents (Bold) provide helpful information so that you can read about various aspects of the CE program requirements.

Forms (Italicized) are used to select various actions. Forms are filled out - some on a computer then printed, some printed then filled out by hand. Bring the completed form to the CE Department office (LANG 207).

Important Note: There are changes being proposed to the CE graduation requirements. To see how these changes might effect you, click here.

Construction of a dock on the island of Cozumel, Mexico. Completed dock on the island of Cozumel, Mexico.

Civil Engineers also use forms to shape concrete used in making buildings, bridges, dams and foundations. Civil Engineers also design and construct marine structures, including docks (this dock is on the island of Cozumel, Mexico).


Declare or Change a Major or Minor - It is usually a simple matter to declare a major if you are currently "undeclared" or to change from your current major to another one.

Petition a CE Program Requirement - Students may petition to make a substitution or change to CE program requirements. These requests usually involve substituting an unapproved course a student has already taken or plans to take against a similar but approved course. It is always better to file a petition before taking a substitute course, whenever possible. Petition requests are approved or denied by majority vote of the CE faculty. Students must consult with their major academic advisor when considering a petition.


Major Academic Plan - The MAP provides a comprehensive summary of all curricular requirements for the B. S. in Civil Engineering degree, including General Education requirements, organized in a hypothetical four-year plan.

CE Course Matrix - The CE Course Matrix is an Excel spreadsheet that is used by CE academic advisors to monitor student progress towards completion of degree requirements. Students may download this sheet to monitor their own progress.

Course Sequence Flowchart - Since most courses in the Civil Engineering program have corresponding prerequisite courses, it is very important to take courses in the correct sequence.

Technical Electives - Many courses are approved by the CE Department as applicable to the "technical elective" requirement.

CIVL Electives - The CE Department maintains a list of 500-level CIVL courses that are tentatively planned for scheduling over the next two or three semesters. These courses may be used to satisfy both the "engineering elective" and "technical elective" requirements.

Request to Change Academic Advisor - Every CE major must have a major academic advisor. All permanent faculty in the CE program do academic advising. You may select an advisor of your choice or let the department choose one for you.


General Education Requirements - The University Academic Advising Office provides information about the GE requirements. CE majors have special modifications to these requirements.

Academic Planning Sheet - Download a list of courses that may be used to satisfy GE requirements (all categories).

Upper Division Theme Courses - CE majors need only take two courses to complete their GE Theme requirement. This link specifies, by Theme, the courses that should be taken, as well as other information about the GE modifications for CE majors.


The program requirements for the BSCE degree will change beginning Fall 2012. Some CE majors may choose either to graduate under the current requirements or under the new requirements.

Group 1: Students graduating prior to Fall 2012 – you must satisfy the current requirements.

Group 2: Students continuously enrolled in college prior to Fall 2012 but graduating Fall 2012 or later – you may choose which degree requirements to follow.

Group 3: Students continuously enrolled in college beginning Fall 2012 or later – you must satisfy the new requirements.

Current Requirements - For students in Group 1 or 2, this document illustrates changes that may help you graduate under the current program requirements.

New Requirements - For students in Group 2, this document illustrates changes that may help you graduate under the new program requirements.

See your major academic advisor for additional information.