Spring 2015 Events
Thursday, April 2, 3:30-5pm, HOLT 113- Increasing Students’ Perseverance and Engagement-- Kathleen Gabriel
Many students come to college motivated, but when academics become strenuous, their enthusiasm wavers. To reach graduation, students need to be engaged and connected, but they also need to develop self-discipline and perseverance. These skills are especially vital to underprepared students. This interactive workshop will present proven practices for increasing students’ engagement, motivation, and persistence in your class. Participants will leave with learner-centered teaching strategies for increasing and stimulating their students’ effort and performance.
Register for any of these at this website: http://depot.csuprojects.org/registration?campusid=7.
AVAILABLE ALL THE TIME--DID YOU KNOW?
- CELT has been building a video archive of sessions, available here: http://www.csuchico.edu/celt/Video-Archive/index.shtml
- CSU Chico Faculty and Staff now have full access to the "Lynda" online tutorial system--if you go to Http://www.csuchico.edu/Lynda you will be able to log in with your regular Portal ID and password.
- The Merlot Elixir Initiative offers (in their own words) “a digital case story repository that hosts more than 70 discipline-specific multimedia stories.” You are allowed to use them—they are under a Creative Commons License.
- THE National Center for Academic Transformation is offering free discipline-specific course redesign webinars, for courses on developmental reading (March 11), algebra May 13), and psychology (April 8). You do need to register beforehand—register on the NCAT website to watch on your own, or go to the CELT registration above and watch with colleagues.
- The Cal State Institute for Teaching and Learning (ITL) has made available a recording of the February 7, 2014 metacognition webinar, "From 'Student' to 'Informed Consumer' of Learning" by Ed Nuhfer and Karl With on their site.
OTHER OPPORTUNITIES TO DEVELOP AND INFORM YOURSELF!
Passing on the Legacy: Higher Education Speaker Series
Brought to you by the Cross Cultural Leadership Center, this series provides an opportunity to gain greater insight into leadership at the executive level. Click here for a complete list of speakers.
Upcoming TLP Workshops:
Click here for a complete calendar of the Technology and Learning Program's Trainings and Workshops.
Upcoming RCE Events:
Regional and Continuing Education offers various opportunities to engage in personal and professional development. Click here for a complete list of "Connect-Learn-Engage" workshops and webinars.
Tuesday Talk with the Tech:
Catherine Benjamin, GIS Guru and Lab Manager in the Department of Geography, will offer weekly workshops on a variety of topics starting with the very basics and building from there. Workshops will occur every Tuesday at 1:30pm in Butte Hall Room 501. Faculty, staff, and students are all welcome. Click here for a complete list of topics.
Butte College Events:
Click here for the calendar of professional development events occurring at Butte College.
NOTE: This page is updated frequently with new events, so come back to see!