Fall 2014 Events
CELT Workshops and Webinars
Register for any of these at this website: http://depot.csuprojects.org/registration?campusid=7.
Tuesday, September 2, 3-5 pm in MLIB 002 TLP Training Lab- Building Traditional Assessments (live or online): A QOLT-Friendly Approach-- Ben Seipel-- Hands on Workshop
Maybe you have never been trained professionally to write quizzes, exams, or other types of assessments. Or perhaps you just want to see what other formats, configurations, and approaches exist. Possibly you want some guidance on transferring your face-to-face assessments into the Blackboard Learn platform. If any of these resonate, then this hands-on workshop is for you!
Thursday, September 18, 10am- 12pm, place to be announced- Approaches to Learning & Teaching (through) Writing-- Christopher Fosen, Kim Jaxon, Laura Sparks, Deborah McCabe, & Maria DeCastro
How do we get excited about writing, or learn to write better? By reading more? Simply doing more writing? Focusing on grammar? Or structure? Or content? What is the value of writing in the learning process? In this workshop, several faculty members will share their own experience as well as research on the subject.
Wednesday, October 22, 12-1:30pm in MLIB 002 TLP Training Lab- Using Video to Enhance Learning & Teaching: A Hands-On Workshop-- Claudine Franquet and Kate Transchel
We all have heard that “Millennial” students (the current generation coming through Chico State) are visual learners, used to turning to YouTube videos and Video Blogs for entertainment, personal edification, and self-expression. Come and hear how one faculty member has successfully incorporated video introductions as well as video assignments into her class, then start learning how to use our free tools to enhance your own courses with video.
Tuesday, November 11, 3-5 pm, place to be announced- Demystifying the RTP Process-- Lyndall Ellingson and Mitchell Johns
The process of Retention, Tenure, and Promotion can be stressful, seem obscure. In this panel discussion, faculty members from every academic college will answer questions about how to navigate the process successfully. Learn about strategic planning, finding mentorship, preparing your dossier, and sailing through the personnel committee interview.
AVAILABLE ALL THE TIME--DID YOU KNOW?
- CELT has been building a video archive of sessions, available here: http://www.csuchico.edu/celt/Video-Archive/index.shtml
- CSU Chico Faculty and Staff now have full access to the "Lynda" online tutorial system--if you go to Http://www.csuchico.edu/Lynda you will be able to log in with your regular Portal ID and password.
- The Merlot Elixir Initiative offers (in their own words) “a digital case story repository that hosts more than 70 discipline-specific multimedia stories.” You are allowed to use them—they are under a Creative Commons License.
- THE National Center for Academic Transformation is offering free discipline-specific course redesign webinars, for courses on developmental reading (March 11), algebra May 13), and psychology (April 8). You do need to register beforehand—register on the NCAT website to watch on your own, or go to the CELT registration above and watch with colleagues.
- The Cal State Institute for Teaching and Learning (ITL) has made available a recording of the February 7, 2014 metacognition webinar, "From 'Student' to 'Informed Consumer' of Learning" by Ed Nuhfer and Karl With on their site.
OTHER OPPORTUNITIES TO DEVELOP AND INFORM YOURSELF!
Passing on the Legacy: Higher Education Speaker Series
Brought to you by the Cross Cultural Leadership Center, this series provides an opportunity to gain greater insight into leadership at the executive level. Click here for a complete list of speakers.
Upcoming TLP Workshops:
Click here for a complete calendar of the Technology and Learning Program's Trainings and Workshops.
Upcoming RCE Events:
Regional and Continuing Education offers various opportunities to engage in personal and professional development. Click here for a complete list of "Connect-Learn-Engage" workshops and webinars.
Tuesday Talk with the Tech:
Catherine Benjamin, GIS Guru and Lab Manager in the Department of Geography, will offer weekly workshops on a variety of topics starting with the very basics and building from there. Workshops will occur every Tuesday at 1:30pm in Butte Hall Room 501. Faculty, staff, and students are all welcome. Click here for a complete list of topics.
Butte College Events:
Click here for the calendar of professional development events occurring at Butte College.
NOTE: This page is updated frequently with new events, so come back to see!