Office: PHSC 304
Campus ZIP: 210
Department Phone: 530-898-5259
CHEM 320 Quantitative Analysis Lecture and Lab
National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council postdoctoral research, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Boulder CO
Ph.D. Colorado State University, Fort Collins CO
B.A. Willamette University, Salem OR
Dr. Ott’s research is generally in the area of biodiesel fuels. We are interested in preparing biodiesel from novel sources, in developing new methods for cleaning raw biodiesel, and in the preparation of value-added products from biodiesel synthesis waste products.
- Agricultural Research Institute, co-PI with lead author Dr. Joseph Greene in MMEM. “RiceBoard Laminated BioComposite Development for Insulation Panels and Construction Close-out Panels.” Amount awarded : $58,897.
- Student Learning Fee proposal with Ron Cooke: “Electronic Data Acquisition Sets for Chemistry”. Amount awarded: $14,224.71.
- CSUPERB Programmatic Grant. “Equipment for Interdisciplinary Biofuels Research in the collaborative Center for Ecosystem Research.” Amount awarded: $15,000.
- CSUPERB Faculty-Student Collaborative Research Seed Grant Program. “Preparation and Optimization of New Biodiesel Fuels from Locally Grown Almonds.” Amount awarded: $15,000.
- CSU, Chico Internal Research Grant, Faculty Development Award. Amount awarded: $5,000.
- Center for Ecosystem Research Seed Money Allocation (in collaboration with Dr. John Nishio in the College of Natural Sciences). Amount awarded: $5,000 for materials and supplies, $1,000 for student assistance.
- Allen, S. J.; Ott, L. S. “HPLC Method for Rapidly Following Biodiesel Fuel Transesterification Reaction Progress Using a Core-Shell Column” Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 2012, 404, 267-272.
- Ott, L. S., Smith, B. L., Bruno, T. J. “Composition-Explicit Distillation Curves of Waste Lubricant Oils and Resourced Crude Oil: A Diagnostic for Re-Refining and Evaluation”. Am. J. Environ. Sci., 2010, 6, 523-534.
- Bruno, T. J.; Ott, L. S.; Smith, B. L.; Lovestead, T. M. “Complex Fluid Analysis with the Advanced Distillation Curve Approach.” (invited review) Anal. Chem., 2010, 82, 777-783.
- Bruno, T. J.; Ott, L. S.; Lovestead, T. M.; Huber, M. L. “Relating Complex Fluid Composition and Thermophysical Properties with the Advanced Distillation Curve Approach.” Chem. Eng. Tech., (invited review) 2010, 33, 363-376.
- Bruno, T. J.; Ott, L. S., Lovestead, T. M.; Huber, M. L. “The Composition Explicit Distillation Curve Technique: Relating Chemical Analysis and Physical Properties of Complex Fluids.” J. Chromatog. A, (invited review) 2010, 1217, 2703-2715.
- Hadler, A. B., Ott, L. S., Bruno, T. J. “Study of Azeotropic Mixtures with the Advanced Distillation Curve Approach.” Fluid Phase Equilibria, 2009, 281, 49-59.
- Huber, M.L.; Lemmon, E.; Kazakov, A.; Ott, L.S., Bruno, T.J., Preliminary model for the thermodynamic properties of a biodiesel fuel. Energy & Fuels, 2009, 23, 3790–3797.
- Graham, C. R.; Ott, L. S.; Finke, R. G. “ Ranking the Lacunary (Bu4N)9[H[a2-P2W17O61]] Polyoxometalate's Stabilizing Ability for Ir(0)(n) Nanocluster Formation and Stabilization Using the Five-Criteria Method plus Necessary Control Experiments.” Langmuir, 2009, 25, 1327-1336.
- Ott, L. S.; Huber, M. L.; Bruno, T. J. “Density and Speed of Sound Measurements on Five Fatty Acid Methyl Esters at 83 kPa and Temperatures from (278.15 to 338.15) K.” J. Chem. Eng. Data, 2008, 53, 2412-2416
- Ott, L. S.; Hadler, A. B.; Bruno, T. J. “Variability of The Rocket Propellants RP-1, RP-2, and TS-5: Application of a Composition- and Enthalpy-Explicit Distillation Curve Method.” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2008, 47, 9225-9233.
- Ott, L. S.; Smith, B. L.; Bruno, T. J. “Experimental test of the Sydney Young equation for the presentation of distillation curves.” J. Chem. Thermo., 2008, 40, 1352-1357. †
- Smith, B. L.; Ott, L. S.; Bruno, T. J. “Composition-Explicit Distillation Curves of Commercial Biodiesel Fuels: Comparison of Petroleum-Derived Fuel with B20 and B100.” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2008, 47, 5832-5840.
- Smith, B. L.; Ott, L. S.; Bruno, T. J. “Composition-Explicit Distillation Curves of Diesel Fuel with Glycol Ether and Glycol Ester Oxygenates: Fuel Analysis Metrology to Enable Decreased Particulate Emissions.” Environ. Sci. Tech. 2008, 42, 7682-7689.
- Ott, L. S.; Smith, B. L.; Bruno, T. J. “Composition-Explicit Distillation Curves of Mixtures of Diesel Fuel with Biomass-Derived Glycol Ester Oxygenates: A Fuel Design Tool for Decreased Particulate Emissions.” Energy & Fuels, 2008, 22, 2518-2526.
- Ott, L. S.; Bruno, T. J. “Variability of Biodiesel Fuel and Comparison to Petroleum-Derived Diesel Fuel: Application of a Composition and Enthalpy Explicit Distillation Curve Method.” Energy & Fuels, 2008, 22, 2861-2868.
- Huber, M. L.; Smith, B. L.; Ott, L. S.; Bruno, T. J. “A Surrogate Mixture Model for the Thermophysical Properties of Synthetic Aviation Fuel S-8.” Energy & Fuels, 2008, 22, 1104-1114.
- Ott, L. S.; Smith, B. L.; Bruno, T. J. “Advanced distillation curve measurement of a bio-derived pig manure crude oil, including corrosivity and composition assessment.” Fuel, 2008, 87, 3379-3387.
- Ott, L. S.; Smith, B. L.; Bruno, T. J. “Advanced Distillation Curve Measurements for Corrosive Fluids: Application to Two Crude Oils” Fuel, 2008, 87, 3055-3064.
- Ott, L. S.; Bruno, T. J. “Corrosivity of fluids as a function of distillate cut: application of an advanced distillation curve method.” Energy & Fuels, 2007, 21, 2778-2784.
- Ott, L. S.; Bruno, T. J. “Modifications to the copper strip corrosion test for the measurement of sulfur-related corrosion.” J. Sulfur Chem. 2007, 28, 492-504.
- Ott, L. S.; Finke, R. G. “Transition-Metal Nanocluster Stabilization versus Agglomeration Fundamental Studies: Measurement of the Two Types of Rate Constants for Agglomeration Plus Their Activation Parameters under Catalytic Conditions.” Chem. Mater., 2008, 20, 2592-2601.
- Ott, L. S.; Finke, R. G. “Evidence That Imidazolium-Based Ionic Liquids Can be Metal(0) / Nanocluster Catalysts Poisons in at Least the Test Case of Iridium(0) Catalyzed Acetone Hydrogenation.” Inorg. Chem., 2007, 46, 10335-10344.
- Ott, L. S.; Finke, R. G. ““Supersensitivity of Ir(0)n Transition-Metal Nanoparticles to Initial Ir Precursor Concentration and Reaction Temperature: Understanding Its Origins.” J. Nanosci. Nanotech., 2008, 8, 1551-1556.
- Ott, L. S.; Cline, M. L.; Finke, R. G. “Nanocluster Formation and Stabilization Fundamental Studies: Ranking the Nanocluster Stabilizing Ability of Halides.” J. Nanosci. Nanotech., 2007, 7, 2400.
- Ott, L. S.; Finke, R. G. “Transition-Metal Nanocluster Stabilization: A Critical Review of Ranking Methods and Putative Stabilizers.” Coord. Chem. Rev., 2007, 251, 1075.
- Ott, L. S.; Hornstein, B. J.; Finke, R. G. “A Test of the Transition-Metal Nanocluster Formation and Stabilization Ability of the Most Common Polymeric Stabilizer, Poly(vinylpyrrolidone), As Well As Four Other Polymeric Protectants.” Langmuir 2006, 22, 9357.
- Ott, L. S.; Finke, R. G. “Nanocluster Formation and Stabilization Fundamental Studies: Investigating “Solvent-Only” Stabilization En Route to Discovering Stabilization by the Traditionally Weakly Coordinating Anion BF4– Plus High Dielectric Constant Solvents.” Inorg. Chem. 2006, 45, 8382.
- Ott, L. S.; Cline, M. L.; Deetlefs, M.; Seddon, K. R.; Finke, R. G. “Nanoclusters in Ionic Liquids: Evidence for N-Heterocyclic Carbene Formation from Imidazolium-Based Ionic Liquids Detected by 2H NMR.” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2005, 127, 5758.