A Magazine from California State University, ChicoSpring 2012 Issue

Chico State College

Chico State College

1935–1972

The California legislature converted its teachers colleges to state colleges in 1935, and Chico State Teachers College became Chico State College. During this period, chimes were installed in the Trinity tower, the first biological laboratory was established at Eagle Lake, and the University Farm was dedicated to the memory of State Senator Paul L. Byrne (’32). Chico State also granted its first bachelor of science and master’s degrees, and the first telecourse was offered on campus—Psychology 51, taught on television by Professor John Narcisco.

To view the captions, please hover over each photo.

Back to main article page

Chico State College Era Photos 1969: Quad projects became the most spectacular part of Pioneer Days in the late 1960s. Phi Kappa Tau's Wayne 'Rocky Raccoon' Biancalana and Alpha Gamma Delta's Debbie Hefner whoop it up in the quad during the annual event. 1970: Brenda Johnson, Chico State's first black homecoming queen, at the Coronation Ball. Her photo ran in the 1970 yearbook along with pages on peace protests and a student 'grovel-in' requesting active participation in faculty retention and promotion. 1960: Riding bicycles has been a cherished pastime in Chico, as well as a practical way to commute to campus and get to Bidwell Park and downtown. In a survey of Chico State alums done a few years ago, they chose 1968 1950s: Under a generation that was weaned on Disney animals, Chico State's mascot Willie the Wildcat took on a mischievous grin and became a prank-playing gremlin. 1942: Seated at the administration building entrance are Bill Woodworth, Gerry Staton, Johnny Merlo, and Fayne Porter. To the far left is Dr. Benedict, a chemistry professor. 1966: Block C officers Gary Sitton (left) and Gerald Circo. Sitton ('67, '68) taught engineering at Chico State and founded BI-TECH Software; Circo ('68, '71) was in the NFL and taught at Bidwell Junior and Chico High. Circo was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame in 1995; Sitton was named Distinguished Alum in 1997. 1960: One of Chico State's three oldest buildings is Trinity Hall. Built in 1931, its square bell tower resembles campaniles found in Italy. The chimes from the tower are still heard throughout central Chico on the hour and half hour. Initially the campus library, Trinity Hall later became the Campus Activity Center and today is a department and faculty office building. No longer covered with ivy, it is also home to the Humanities Center, dedicated to intellectual exchange and discussion between faculty and students. 1959: Football coach George Maderis, Chico State College President Glenn Kendall (1950–1966), and Division of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Chairman Don Adee. In 1959 the college offered 10 varsity sports and was a member of the Far Western Conference and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). 1945 1947: Classmates Bill Shonk and J. Lee take a spin in Shonk's Austin sports car early in the fall semester. Sports cars grew in popularity after World War II.
Interactive magazine

Check out the full interactive version of the complete magazine.

browse
every page

arrow

Alum Notes

John Concannon

John

CONCANNON (BS, Business Administration, ’85) is a fourth-generation vintner at Concannon Vineyard.

Read more

Tanja Poley

Tanja Poley

(BS, Business Administration, ’94) is the human resources manager for the News & Review, headquartered in Sacramento.

Read more

Kathy Crusco

Kathy Crusco

(BS, Business Administration, ’87) is executive vice president and chief financial officer of Epicor Software Corporation.

Read more

Submit
yours now

arrow