Voter Registration and Education
It's quick, easy, and fundamental. Speak your piece and VOTE!
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
– Margaret Mead
About the OCE
The Office of Civic Engagement promotes, strengthens, sustains, and recognizes civic engagement initiatives that are consistent with the strategic priorities of CSU, Chico, based on respectful partnerships with the broader community, and aimed at developing socially and environmentally responsible students, faculty, and staff.
To facilitate the integration of Civic Engagement throughout CSU, Chico’s academic profile in such a way that students identify themselves as “member[s] of a larger social fabric and therefore consider social problems to be at least partly his or her own; such that an individual is willing to see the moral and civic dimensions of issues, to make and justify informed moral and civic judgements, and to take action when appropriate.”
- Student benefits of civic engagement and service learning experience:
- Enhance both student academic development as well as their readiness to take up their responsibilities as adult members of a democracy
- Develop stronger relationships with faculty and the community
- Improve students’ satisfaction with college
- Increase likelihood of graduation
- Academic improvement:
- Information literacy
- Fundamental understanding of civic involvement and improved sense of efficacy
- Understanding of the connection between university and public life
- Improved academic engagement
- Positive perceptions of self individually and within society