The Dependent, Passive Student
- Guidelines for Intervention
- The Anxious Student
- The Dependent, Passive Student
- The Depressed Student
- The Sexually Harassed Student
- The Sexually Assaulted Student
- The Student in Poor Contact with Reality
- The Suspicious Student
- The Substance Abusing Student
- The Suicidal Student
- The Verbally Aggressive Student
- The Violent Student
- Emergency Telephone List
Typically, even the utmost time and energy given to these students is not enough. They often seek to control your time and unconsciously believe the amount of time received is a reflection of their worth. You may find yourself increasingly drained and feeling responsible for this student in a way that is beyond your normal involvement.
- Let them make their own decisions.
- Set firm and clear limits on your personal time and involvement.
- Offer referrals to other resources on– and off–campus.
- Get trapped into giving advice
- Let them use you as their only source of support
- Avoid the student as an alternative to setting and enforcing limits.