LMS Advisory Group Meetings: 2017

October

10/04

- 10/18 10/25 -

September

09/06

09/13 09/20 09/27 -

August

08/02

- - - 08/30

July

07/05

- 07/19 - -

June

06/07

- 06/21 - -

May

-

05/10 - 05/24 -

April

-

04/12 04/26 - -

March

03/01 - 03/15 -

03/29

February

02/01

- 02/15 - -

January

01/04

01/11 01/18 -
-

October 25, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Managed Hosting update. FAQ page updated (link).
  2. Bb Predict update.
  3. Bb Ally update.

Discussion Items

  1. Blackboard course access one-pager (link).

Back to top.


October 18, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Managed Hosting update. Testing environment is now live!
    1. Discussion about "MH" theme error, now corrected
    2. DLT and TLP to meet about announcement email, to be sent out by DLT next week
    3. DLT to revise MH website materials, organize FAQ by topic, address more faculty questions
      1. Should faculty back up gradebooks?
      2. How can faculty communicate with students during the outage?
      3. What about the PeopleSoft outage? 12/23 6pm to midnight.
      4. What other faculty use cases are affected?
    4. DLT to prepare banners and Portal modules to be used before + after migration
    5. DLT to prepare placeholder website to put on learn.csuchico.edu while Blackboard is down
  2. Bb Predict update. Tabled for future discussion
  3. Bb Ally update. Potential to expand scope to include remediation of website content?
    1. Would need some development work to tie a few APIs together
    2. Get staff and student employees into prep areas and/or organizations?
    3. Split reporting to put LMS and other content into appropriate buckets

Discussion Items

  1. Blackboard database submission outage, 10/16 (log entry). Tablespace provisioning error prevented any addition of new data for approx 40 minutes, affecting many end users who would need to resubmit work after the system returned to normal operation.
    1. Unlikely to happen again, considering the MH move in December.
    2. DLT considering options to improve monitoring and catch this sort of issue sooner.
  2. Turnitin issues (Marjorie) (notes). Some students have reported Turnitin stalling on the final submission step, and in some cases they do not receive a submission receipt.
    1. Marjorie to schedule meeting with Tii support, may need DLT assistance as well?

Back to top.


October 11, 2017

This meeting was cancelled.

Back to top.


October 4, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Managed Hosting update. Test migration is underway, tentatively finishing in one week. Testing was initially scheduled for 10/9 but will have to wait until the test migration has finished.
    1. Watching several publisherB2s to make sure they are disabled at launch
    2. Resolved issue with bandwidth throttling (data center load balancer)
    3. Resolved issue with file permissions (chmod)
    4. Presented to Academic Senate last month
    5. Presented to deans group this week
    6. Presenting to chairs group, soon
    7. Communication to campus later this month
  2. Bb Predict update. Still a very new product, has some rough edges based on faculty feedback so far.
    1. Miroslav working with vendor about a data sourcing problem for some configurations of external grade columns. This has affected several courses in the pilot.
    2. Putting together learning materials about the data model, factors that are considered.
    3. Jim/Dave/Mir to follow up about grade center issue, comm plan.
  3. Bb Ally update. Next pilot phase is full (no more recruiting), set to launch soon.
    1. Jeremy to send DLT a list of participating faculty/courses
    2. Working on remediation workflow, communication
    3. Working on additional capabilities such as website scans

Discussion Items

  1. PeopleSoft integration report. For the first time, we have some reporting on tickets, issues, and enrollment discrepancies that drills down toward root cause analysis for most cases.
  2. Course template load. TLP can make modifications to the "Course Template Master" before upcoming term loads.
    1. TLP to finish making changes by Nov 1st.

Back to top.


September 27, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Managed hosting update. Test migration delayed due to an unexpected bandwidth limitation. Issue is being resolved by adding a second network interface to the migration server, which has required several DNS and firewall updates. Further updates are pending. Current estimate is that we can begin user testing next week.
    1. 3-week primary testing window to collect feedback
    2. Discussion about testing specific integrations with SMEs: iClicker, Turnitin, Kaltura
      1. Chad may be able to assist with clickers
    3. Robert to discuss testing options with SMEs, send plan notes to group
  2. Ally update. Institutional report is now available for all terms, giving us baseline numbers across the organization.
    1. OATS recruiting for more pilot members
    2. Ally product team coming on-site for a design session
  3. Predict update. Ongoing feedback from pilot group
    1. Evaluating utility of reports, accuracy of model
    2. Based on ECAR student tech survey, there is high student interest in early warning systems such as Predict
  4. SMS messaging in Blackboard. As mobile adoption continues to increase, we would like to offer more options in that space. DLT is currently working to get approval for collecting phone numbers through Fischer, which would then allow students to opt into SMS notifications.
    1. Do students know they can adjust notification settings? Once this is live, may consider a push in that area.
    2. Work on a video to advertise this?
    3. Option to make notification settings link more obvious, such as a tab on home page

 Discussion Items

  1. Who owns recorded lecture footage? Specifically, can chairs request to view recordings?
    1. There may be issues with faculty contract if this qualifies as monitoring the classroom, which normally requires advance notice. In that case, it's best to ask faculty member, or follow up with dean and chair.

Support Questions

  1. Zoom recordings that aren't making it into Kaltura? Has happened a few times in CTS origination rooms.
    1. Root cause? Could be login confusion, if people are recycling sessions. Could be upload failure. Identify and troubleshoot from there.
    2. CTS has backup recordings on their hardware, that can be uploaded manually as needed.
  2. Mobile compatible tests? This is a specific content type called "Mobile Compatible Test" that is disabled by default. It's not generally recommended for use, as it's incomplete, meant for older applications, and may not see continued development.
    1. What about the newer mobile apps? They can sometimes take regular tests, but some students have reported issues with lost submissions. Until we can reduce those issues, it may be best to take caution.
    2. Revisit this after future development efforts from vendor.
  3. Lynda activity feeding back into grade center? Currently not possible, but might be useful.
    1. Robert will add this to backlog of items to investigate after MH move
  4. Rubric point ranges with (unwanted) decimal precision - screenshot
    1. Cannot be disabled at this time
    2. To avoid this, either use a larger point range, or avoid using the "range" rubric type
    3. Robert to submit product feedback

Back to top.


September 20, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Managed hosting update. Almost done setting up the Aspera migration server. Data samples exported. Planning on test migration next week, followed by heavy testing. The Kickoff has been completed. IRES, UTAC, and Academic Senate are up to speed on the transition.
  2. Staff Home tab. After discussion, we will create a new Staff Home tab.
    1. In the future, it may be possible to add multiple roles per user (would be a Fischer project).

 Discussion Items

  1. Internships.com B2 is no longer supported, will be removed
  2. Term dates and term cleanup. In support of the Ally pilot, we have set start dates and end dates for all terms in Blackboard. This should not affect user experience, but we wanted to give a heads up. We also cleaned up some older terms that were empty or nearly empty.
  3. Ally institutional report. Showed the report to the group.
    1. Working on workflows with pilot faculty to improve the handoff between content remediation and video migration.
  4. Qwickly tools. (http://goqwickly.com) Can potentially allow instructors to post announcements and emails to multiple courses in one action. Would that be useful? Something we can investigate later, after code freeze.
    1. Are Qwickly's attendance tools included in the platform, or are they a separate purchase?
  5. Video and audio tools? Blackboard's dev roadmap includes upgraded video/audio tools for the Content Editor. Is that something we should look into? Should we use Blackboard's upcoming solution or try to integrate Kaltura?
    1. DLT will research this topic.
  6. Term load dates
    1. Winter 2018
      1. Faculty Load 11/9
      2. Student load 12/1
    2. Spring 2018
      1. Faculty Load 11/9
      2. Student Load 1/12

 Support Questions

  1. Ability for instructors to rename their own prep areas? That's not possible with our current permissions setup. Until that changes, instructors can continue to submit tickets for this request.
  2. POI records for guest access in Blackboard? Users must become associated with the university in some capacity; follow-up with AAS group about best practices and recommendations for handling these tickets.
    1. Robert will share a draft workflow suggestion with the group.
  3. Kaltura media organization, such as folders? The "My Media" list in Blackboard does allow searching, but doesn't support folders at this time. Users could switch to MediaSpace and use playlists, but that causes other complications with reporting. For now, consider it on a case-by-case basis.

Back to top.


September 13, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Predict presentation. Dave gave a demo/presentation of instructor, advisor, and student views within Predict.
    1. Separate meeting: deep dive into model (was recorded)
    2. Reports chance of student passing course with grade of 70% or better
    3. In this term, we want to see how faculty use the tool. Collect feedback and develop more guidelines for another cohort next term.
    4. Questions about accuracy of AA data used in the report. Marjorie may have notes to send to DLT about past conversations on this topic.
    5. Communication tools still in development; not built into Predict yet.
  2. Managed hosting update. Project page is now live!
    1. Integration sub project
    2. Emphasis on communication and testing
    3. Test migration near end of September (approx 9/25)
    4. Call for use cases that need test coverage (Robert to send form)
    5. Important to set expectations, document process and decisions
  3. Learning Glass update. Uploads to Kaltura are basically functional but need manual workflow still.
    1. Which faculty could use this? TLP may have a decision tree to document this.
  4. Importance of advertising ongoing projects. How can this group reach out to faculty about our ongoing work?
    1. Tuesday Tips?
    2. Ongoing record of Tues Tips, such as a blog?
    3. Newsletters? IRES newsletter?
    4. Yearlong communication plan?
    5. As the group grows, we need to communicate effectively about our services and projects.

 Discussion Items

  1. Staff home tab. Previous survey had only 4 responses; Robert will send out a revised survey to collect more feedback about possible solutions.

Back to top.


September 6, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Ally update. Pilot is ongoing. Tool was temporarily disabled due to a performance issue. System has stabilized after CU3 + Telemetry updates, which allowed Ally to be re-enabled this week.
  2. Predict update. Pilot is ongoing. Troubleshooting some issues where dropped students are still listed in reporting.
    1. Dave to prepare a demo for next LMS Advisory meeting
  3. Managed hosting update. Planned move in December. Testing pass in late September, possibly another test pass in October/November. Main work now is going into communication and project planning.
    1. Kickoff tomorrow (9/7)
  4. Theme update. Scheduled for tomorrow (9/7), will fix two issues.
    1. Desktop computers showing tablet view (breakpoint from 1024px to 1020px).
    2. Right-most columns of grade center blocked from being interactive.

Discussion Items

  1. Ongoing effort to streamline communication + support docs. Especially with regard to faculty and ASCs who may be hearing different information from different places. Meetings soon should involve APSS, TLP, ITSS, and DLT.
  2. MediaSpace and Kaltura. Check in about CMT staff using Kaltura. Some confusion about branding between "Kaltura" and "MediaSpace", which product is which.
  3. CTS Learning Glass update. Will be set up in MLIB. Coordinate with DLT to make sure that hardware recorder can upload videos to Kaltura.
    1. Brent and Robert to begin conversation about this.

Support Questions

  1. Faculty/Staff home tab? Account Center must classify each user as only staff, faculty, or student, even if they have multiple affiliations. Currently "staff" users are seeing the faculty tab, which has caused confusion for users.
    1. Robert to send out a survey with options.
    2. Rename "Faculty Home" to "Faculty/Staff Home"? Less overhead.
    3. Create a separate Staff Home tab? More clarity, opportunities for compartmented content or communication.
  2. Instructor access to bulk delete? Some support tickets have asked if instructors can get access to the bulk delete tool. Currently they do not, given risk of accidents and misunderstandings that delete crucial data.
    1. Continue as-is for now, revisit later in case Managed Hosting allows course restores.
  3. Teaching Assistant role cannot use course copy? Previous course roles were hierarchical in nature, which leads some instructors to think the "TA" role will have access to copy content (it does not).
    1. Chad to update TLP documentation.
    2. Recommend updating training + communications about course roles.
  4. Spectator role cannot use email tool? Spectators can open the email tool, but do not have any permissions within it, which leads to them seeing a blank page.
    1. Miroslav to check if this is a glitch.

Back to top.


August 30, 2017

Discussion Topics

  1. Proposal to resume weekly meetings of this group. Confirmed. Dave will update meeting invite.
  2. Service outage on 8/21. While troubleshooting issues with stuck course copies, DLT performed a rolling restart to apply config changes. During this restart, traffic overwhelmed available nodes which caused a brief outage lasting roughly 5 minutes.
    1. System has been under increasing load, especially at start of term.
    2. Do course copies cause excessive load? If so, can we mitigate that? Could potentially encourage faculty to copy courses earlier before term start, or schedule copies to run overnight.
    3. Dave working on communication + action plan.
  3. Learn-Staging shutdown. In order to free up administrative and technical resources.
    1. Extra resources allocated to production.
    2. Hopefully bringing Staging back in the coming months.
  4. Cumulative update tomorrow (8/31). Related to the performance problems mentioned above, DLT will be installing a major update that includes several bugfixes and performance improvements.
    1. DLT has performed system, functional testing.
    2. TLP conducting usability testing.
  5. Move to managed hosting. Given increasing demand for system resources, we plan on migrating hosting to Blackboard's managed hosting environment.
    1. Frees up resources for other projects
    2. First test pass in September (9/24)
    3. Second test pass in November (TBD)
    4. Final production pass in December (TBD)
    5. Discussion about communication plan, especially notifying faculty in November
  6. Maintenance schedule. Related to the above, DLT plans on a code freeze starting 9/24.

Support Questions

Meeting ran over time. These topics will be tabled for a future meeting.

  1. Faculty/Staff Home tab?
  2. Instructor access to bulk delete feature?
  3. Teaching Assistant cannot use course copy?
  4. Spectator cannot use email tool?
  5. Ability to rename prep areas?
  6. POI records for guest access in Blackboard?
  7. Kaltura media organization, such as folders?
  8. Lynda activity feeding back into grade center?
  9. CTS mobile stylesheet loading on desktop clients?

Upcoming Maintenance

  • 8/31: Q2 2017 CU3, Telemetry B2, cache settings, CPU monitor script
  • 9/7: Java upgrade, REEF Shibboleth
  • 9/14: Multiple Kaltura updates
  • 9/14: DBA + OSA patching (nonprod)
  • 9/15: Bb Predict update (external)
  • 9/21: DBA + OSA patching (prod)
  • 9/24: Managed hosting test migration (code freeze)

Back to top.


August 16, 2017

This meeting was cancelled.

Back to top.


August 2, 2017

Bb Ally Presentation

  • 30-minute talk + discussion with Jeremy Olguin about Bb Ally
  • Running institutional report against a smaller pilot population
  • Showing to provost on Aug 14
  • Pilot phase now, planned wider go-live next year
  • Once term is underway: will need headcount of unique sections, instructors, students

Ongoing Items

  1. Bb Predict update. Modeling is in progress. Training session set for Aug 16.
    1. Questions about model availability, customization options.
  2. Bb Mobile update. Branding changes, including renamed apps and sunsetting previous apps.
    1. Students should use "Blackboard" app
    2. Instructors should use "Blackboard Instructor" app
    3. Note: student app currently affected by a configuration problem that DLT is working on.
    4. Note: instructor app is not yet available for use at Chico State; an update is coming soon that may fix that, but we don't have an ETA right now
  3. iClicker update. New desktop software will be available today. Other integrations are still pending.
    1. B2 update next week.
    2. REEF mobile login via Shibboleth is in testing, waiting on vendor changes.
    3. Cloud instructor login via LTI is being worked on by DLT; not likely that we'll have it ready before start of term.
    4. New desktop software is being uploaded today.
    5. Clearing out old registrations? Waiting on more info.

Discussion Items

  1. Student load for Fall 2017 (Aug 14)
  2. Student orientation module on homepage. Suggested links include Mediaspace videos, Blackboard help pages. Tabled for discussion at next meeting.

Upcoming Maintenance

  • Aug 2
    • iClicker desktop software update
    • Turnitin database cleanup to remove orphaned grade columns
  • Aug 10
    • OSA/DBA patching
    • Lucene indexer fix
    • Add memory to bbprd1
    • Reset ping timeout on bbprd2
    • McGraw-Hill Connect and Create B2 update
    • Partner Cloud B2 update
    • iClicker B2 update
  • Aug 17
    • Blackout date (no maintenance planned)
  • Aug 24
    • Blackout date (no maintenance planned)
  • Pending
    • Several Kaltura updates
    • REEF Shibboleth integration
    • Student orientation module on homepage

Back to top.


July 19, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Bb Ally update.
  2. iClicker update.
  3. Bb Predict update.

Discussion Items

  1. Self-Support link. Laura asked about removing or replacing this link.
  2. Bb Mobile re-branding in July
    1. Bb Student --> Blackboard
    2. Bb Instructor --> Blackboard Instructor
    3. Mobile Learn --> support ends August 31

July 5, 2017

Cancelled. Items tabled for next meeting.

Back to top.


June 21, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Fall 2017 term load. Faculty are now in their courses.
  2. Fischer go-live. System is operational, but batch loads are still being run manually. Some batch loads are causing LDAP performance issues.
    1. DLT and Account Center team working on guest account handling.
    2. TLP question about collaboration with faculty from other universities; need to protect student data
  3. Bb Ally update. Plugin is installed, still working to set up pilot load for about 10 courses in Fall.
    1. Jeremy working on communication plan
    2. Project plan drafted soon
    3. Demo at future LMS Advisory meeting
  4. iClicker update. REEF integration has been working, will look into it soon.
    1. DLT plans to activate REEF in July
    2. Claudine working on communication with faculty, training, etc.
    3. Cloud software still in ITPR; working on accessibility
    4. CTS installing desktop software on classroom computers as needed
  5. Bb Predict update. Pilot program getting set up for Fall. Small group of courses to start with.
    1. Dave and Jim to meet about live demos
    2. DLT to continue working on technical hiccups with data load
    3. Need to correlate students to advisors in PeopleSoft

Discussion Items

  1. Blackboard outages. Repeated outages since 6/15, mostly in evening hours. One incident caused by Netapp outage, others are still under investigation.
    1. DLT's top priority
    2. Working with ESYS and vendor support team
  2. Blackboard contract.
    1. Two-year contract with option for additional one-year extensions
    2. Hardware and space limitations may drive a move to Blackboard's managed hosting environment
      1. When can we move? Plan for Winter. Could be an extended outage lasting several days.
      2. Need to discuss video and data retention; the more data we can reduce, the less downtime during migration

Back to top.


June 7, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Fischer go-live. Legacy load has finished, system is operating normally aside from a few slowdowns.
    1. Concern about grade entry, name sorting.
    2. Monitoring registration/enrollment process.
  2. Bb Ally update. Available for testing on learn-staging. Testing content scan features now. Have secured funding and recruited faculty participants for pilot program.
    1. Starting with a small pilot in late summer
    2. Demo at future LMS Advisory meeting
  3. Q2 2017 upgrade (and theme update)
    1. TLP to send out faculty email about the upgrade
    2. Robert to email Christine and Chad notes
  4. Bb Predict update. Will start building predictive model after upgrade next week. Only available to a few courses during pilot, starting in Fall.
    1. Jim leading faculty training in August
  5. iClicker update. Working in testing again.
    1. ITPR for local software is done, for cloud software is ongoing

Discussion Items

  1. Course roles. Miroslav is still researching this topic. Discovered some misleading entitlements for our "Read Only" role.
    1. Dave to send out list of proposed roles, based on previous meeting.
    2. Miroslav working with Bb support about hidden entitlements.
    3. DLT to check what permissions are needed for Ally.
  2. Add Users B2. Plugin that offers more control over course role availability, could replace our current tool.
    1. Miroslav testing in non-prod

Upcoming Maintenance

  • June 8
    • Softchalk B2 install
    • Cambridge MyBusinessCourse B2 install
    • Macmillan Launchpad enabled via Partner Cloud
    • Apache proxy timeout setting (Grade Center history download)
    • DBA firewall update (access from new secure server)
    • DBA patching
  • June 15
    • Service Pack update: Q2 2017 CU1
    • Bb Ally
    • Bb Predict

Back to top.


May 24, 2017

Ongoing Items

  1. Fischer go-live. Aside from accidental password resets over the weekend, process is running on schedule.
    1. Robert to rebuild TLP training accounts on Learn-Staging
    2. Robert to check LDAP config on Learn-Staging
  2. Bb Ally update. Several questions about scanning individual courses, GUI appearance, report options and layout, will be easier to answer once a testing system is available.
    1. Planned install for testing on Learn-Staging later this week
    2. Planned install for testing on Learn-Future on June 1st
    3. Planned install for Production on June 15th
    4. Demos and training sessions to be held after Bb World (July)
  3. Bb Predict update. Working toward first term of a three-term pilot program. First round will primarily focus on infrastructure and advisor workflows, but faculty will also be involved and we will iterate on feedback.
    1. Planned install for testing on Learn-Staging later this week
    2. Planned install for testing on Learn-Future on June 1st
    3. Planned install for Production on June 15th
  4. Q2 2017 CU1 service pack. This upgrade is required for both Ally and Predict.
    1. Available now on Learn-Staging
    2. DLT working on system testing, functional testing
    3. TLP working on usability testing
    4. Marjorie reported an issue with Kaltura video quizzing; nothing coming back to grade center?
    5. Planned install for testing on Learn-Future on June 1st
    6. Planned install for Production on June 15th
  5. iClicker update. Currently no update about REEF.
    1. Claudine to check for software updates (either B2 or desktop software)
  6. Turnitin update. New Feedback Studio cutover on 8/1, has been opt-in since last year.
    1. Marjorie sending a targeted email to faculty users on 5/24

 

Discussion Items

  1. Inline Grading. Crocodoc end-of-life in January 2018. Blackboard is preparing migration to "Box New View" service, to be released as a cumulative update in late 2017.
    1. Robert to monitor and provide updates.
  2. ITSS website updates. This discussion was taken offline.
  3. Proposal to disable Blackboard built-in spellcheck. This feature causes a variety of problems, such as malformed HTML and potential for popups every few seconds. We want to investigate if it's possible to turn this off in favor of using browsers' own spellcheck features.
    1. Make sure that browsers are compatible.
    2. Robert to try disabling on non-prod, for testing purposes.

 

Action Items

  1. DLT: continue system/functional testing of Q2 2017 CU1
  2. TLP: continue usability testing of Q2 2017 CU1
  3. Robert: rebuild TLP training accounts on Learn-Staging
  4. Robert: check LDAP config on Learn-Staging
  5. Miroslav: disable Bb spellcheck in non-prod, run testing
  6. Miroslav: continue installation of Bb Ally on Learn-Staging
  7. Miroslav: follow up about Kaltura video quizzing issue
  8. Marjorie: send Turnitin targeted email
  9. Marjorie/Laura: follow up with academic department + CTS about Zoom usage for remote students in F2F courses
  10. Claudine: follow up about iClicker software updates

Upcoming Maintenance

  • June 1
    • Zoom LTI switch
    • Collaborate Ultra tool removal
    • Kaltura B2 update to v5.0.60
    • Kaltura player update to v2.55.2
    • Kaltura playback speed control
    • Kaltura Shared Repository
    • Kaltura owner change option (under collaboration)
    • Crontab: disable remove_users script (no longer needed)
  • June 8
    • Softchalk B2 install
    • Cambridge MyBusinessCourse B2 install
    • Macmillan Launchpad enabled via Partner Cloud
    • Apache proxy timeout setting (Grade Center history download)
    • DBA firewall update (access from new secure server)
    • OSA/DBA patching
  • June 15
    • Service Pack update: Q2 2017 CU1
    • Bb Ally
    • Bb Predict

Back to top.


May 10, 2017

Discussion Items

  • Bb Predict Pilot
  • Blackboard system stability
  • Q2 2017 GA on learn-staging
    • Expecting CU1 by start of next week
  • Collaborate Ultra
    • Marjorie wants to be sure RCE and ITSS is fully aware.
    • Robert ran a list of all users (31) within past year and we will send the targeted email to them.
    • Laura will send email by later this week or early next week
  • Planned Maintenance in June
    • Prioritization from TLP(Marjorie)
    • Bb Learn Q2 2017
    • Zoom Configuration
    • Kaltura Quizzing
    • Kaltura Faculty repository 
  • ITSS Online Education Support Page out of date(Marjorie)

Upcoming maintenance

  • 5/19 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Turning off PS integration at 5pm
  • 5/21 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Fischer Integration Change
    • PS integration turned back on
  • 5/26 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Summer 2017 Student Load

Back to top.


April 26, 2017

Discussion Items

  • Fall 2017 course load date June 13th 2017
  • Bb Predict Pilot
    • Participants List
    • In talks with various departments, signing up faculty to participate
    • Working on documents re tool capabilities, course redesign, etc.
  • Blackboard system stability
    • DLT's highest priority right now
    • bbprd 5 had a 2 min outage at 2am Monday morning.
  • Q2 2017 technical preview on learn-staging
    • GA Q2 2017 is now available, Release Notes
    • Need to clone to learn-staging from learn-future
    • GA Q2 2017 needs to be installed after cloning
  • Video retention and migration
  • ePortfolio Expo - 4/28 in Tehama 116, 3-5pm
  • Kaltura captions update(Miroslav)
    • Fixed in player update v 2.55

Upcoming maintenance

  • 5/19 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Turning off PS integration at 5pm
  • 5/21 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Fischer Integration Change
    • PS integration turned back on
  • 5/26 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Summer 2017 Student Load

Back to top.


April 12, 2017

Discussion Items

  • Account Center rollout - May 2017
    • Account management via Account Center, enrollment management continues via PeopleSoft
    • Students, faculty and staff will be loaded into Blackboard sooner
    • Faculty will get prep areas immediately, but will not get any live courses until I9 paperwork is done
    • Students will get Office 365 accounts
    • Departing/retiring users will eventually be automatically deprovisioned
    • Questions re troubleshooting, account status dashboard - DLT will need to develop some workflows
    • Communication plan
      • Wendy sending campus-wide announcement (Tuesday?)
      • Marjorie to evaluate TLP blog post after that
    • Timeline discussion
  • Snapshot re-enabled some disabled courses
    • Affected about 10 disabled courses
    • Next snapshot load on May 26th, should not affect this term
    • Issue will be fixed in future maintenance (June?)
  • Fall 2017 course load date
    • Sometime in June, specific dates pending
  • Bb Predict Pilot
    • Participants List
    • In talks with various departments, signing up faculty to participate
    • Working on documents re tool capabilities, course redesign, etc.
  • Blackboard system stability
    • Unusually high database and disk usage since CU4 update
    • Several micro outages and ERFCs
    • Average page load time is fairly stable, but there have been spikes
    • DLT's highest priority right now
  • Q2 2017 technical preview on learn-staging
  • Video retention and migration (discussion postponed for time)
  • Academic Technologies open forum on 4/27 (Dave)
  • Zoom update
    • Survey to CDOE faculty on  Zoom effectiveness (Marjorie)
    • Working to edit the recording notification email (Miroslav)
    • Upcoming Shibboleth roles change
  • ePortfolio Expo - 4/28 in Tehama 116, 3-5pm
  • Kaltura captions update
    • Display options changed at some point, under investigation

Upcoming maintenance

  • 4/20 Maintenance
    • Fischer B2 install
    • Zoom Shibboleth Changes(Students lose ability to Cloud Record)
  • 5/21 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Fischer Integration Change
  • 5/26 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Summer 2017 Student Load
  • Pending updates
    • Kaltura Video Quiz Integration

Back to top.


March 29, 2017

Discussion Items

  • ITPR process
    • Status update from Christine and Robert
  • Bb Predict(Dave)
  • Ally(Dave)
  • Q2 2017(Dave)
    • Technical preview on learn-staging(Miroslav)
  • Zoom(Miroslav)
  • BB Learn IAM(freeze) from March 23rd 2017 until end of May 2017
  • Fischer IAM plan(Miroslav)

Upcoming maintenance

  • 3/30 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Application nodes backup cleanup
  • 4/7 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Summer 2017 Course and Faculty Load
  • 4/20 Maintenance
    • Fischer B2 install
  • 5/21 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Fischer Integration Change
  • 5/26 No Downtime Maintenance
    • Summer 2017 Student Load
  • Pending updates
    • Kaltura Video Quiz Integration

Back to top.


March 15, 2017

Discussion Items

  • Course Enrollment User Tool
    • Course Instructor removed from list
    • Read/Only removed from list
    • CTS Student to be renamed to Spectator
  • ITPR process
    • Status update from Christine and Robert
  • Bb Predict(Dave)
  • Ally(Dave)
  • Q2 2017(Dave)
  • Zoom(Miroslav)
    • Functional testing Wed March 15th @ noon(Marjorie)
  • BB Learn IAM(freeze) from March 23rd 2017 until end of May 2017

Upcoming maintenance

  • 3/16 Maintenance
    • BB Learn Q2 2016 CU4 update
    • Zoom portal verbiage change
  • 3/23 Maintenance
    • Blackboard OSA/DBA kernel patching
    • Course Enrollment User tool modifications
    • Lippincott LTI
    • Data center firewall update
  • Pending updates
    • Kaltura Video Quiz Integration

Back to top.


March 1, 2017

Discussion Items

  • Course Enrollment
    • Role availability for enrollments in Course/org(Miroslav)
    • Auditors/students removal question(Jim)
    • Post mortem on self-service decomission(Miroslav)
  • ITPR process
    • Status update from Christine and Robert
  • Bb Predict(Dave)
  • Ally(Dave)
  • Q2 2017(Dave)
  • Zoom(Miroslav)
    • 505 registered users
    • Space taken at 48.76 Gb as of 2/28/2017
    • Record all active shared zoom windows to allow chat recording
  • BB Learn IAM(freeze) from March 23rd 2017 until end of May 2017
  • Turnitin
    • Grading issue needing escalation(Marjorie)

 

Upcoming maintenance

  • 3/2 Maintenance
    • OSA/DBA security patching
    • Role availability for enrollment with Course/org in Users tool
    • Softchalk integration
  • 3/9 Maintenance
    • Kaltura B2 update to 5.0.58 
    • Kaltura player update
    • Kaltura Mediaspace categories update
    • Kaltura Mediaspace help link change
    • Kaltura Mediaspace link to channels in navigation menu
  • 3/16 Maintenance
    • BB Learn Q2 2016 CU4 update
  • 3/23 Maintenance
    • Blackboard OSA/DBA kernel patching
  • Pending updates
    • Kaltura Video Quiz Integration

Back to top.


February 15, 2017

Discussion Items

  • Self Service Decomission(Miroslav)
    • DLT website post
    • Technology & Learning Program blog post
    • Role descriptions page(Chad)
  • ITPR process
    • Status update from Christine and Robert
  • Bb Predict
  • Ally
  • Q2 2017
  • Zoom

 

Upcoming maintenance

  • 2/16 Maintenance
    • Self-Service phase out: disable Organization tools 

    • Self-Service phase out: disable SSO tools 

    • Self-Service phase out: disable "on behalf of" tool 

    • Self-Service phase out: disable enrollment tools 

    • Self-Service phase out: disable prep area tools 

    • Fix prep area naming scheme 

    • Integration update (better audit) 

    • Theme update (minor)

  • 2/23 Maintenance
    • Kaltura Live Stream turned on 

    • OSA/DBA patching 

    • Firewall changes on bbdb1.csuchico.edu 

    • Turnitin B2 update 2.7.1

Back to top.


February 1, 2017

Discussion Items

  • Self Service Timeline(Miroslav)
  • ITPR process
    • Status update from Christine and Robert
  • Bb Predict
  • Ally
  • Q2 2017
  • Zoom
    • CDOE unique Zoom requierements

 

Upcoming maintenance

  • 2/2 Maintenance
    • Theme Fixes

    • Integration update 

    • Enable Quick Enroll for CTS and TLP staff via system role 

    • Enable Course and Org management via permission change to course instructor and org leader roles

    • Zoom auto recording retention set to 30 days
    • Zoom landing page change
  • 2/9 Maintenance
    • ?
  • Pending updates
    • SafeAssign B2 update
    • Content Editor B2 update
    • Turnitin B2 update 2.7.1
    • Kaltura B2 update
    • Kaltura Video Quiz Integration turned on
    • Proposed schedule through February (Robert)

Back to top.


January 18, 2017

Discussion Items

  • Self Service Timeline(Miroslav)
  • ITPR process
    • Status update from Christine and Robert
  • Bb Predict
  • Ally
  • Q2 2017

 

Upcoming maintenance

  • 2/2 Maintenance
    • Content Editor B2 update 

    • Turnitin B2 update 2.7.1 

    • SafeAssign B2 update 4.0.15 

    • Integration update 

    • Enable Quick Enroll for CTS and TLP staff via system role 

    • Enable Course and Org management via permission change to course instructor and org leader roles

    • Theme fixes?
  • 2/9 Maintenance
    • ?

Back to top.


January 11, 2017

Discussion Items

  • Collaborate Ultra
    • Update on testing MLIB 031 from Marjorie
  • Zoom
    • Update on testing MLIB 031 from Marjorie
  • ITPR process
    • Status update from Christine and Robert
  • Kaltura CaptureSpace
    • Error reproduced in TLP lab, logs gathered and Kaltura support Case# 00119605 opened
  • TLP Questions
    • Do we still have Grade Center course available to faculty for training purposes?
    • On the backend, can DLT set defaults for all instructor collaborate course rooms so that recordings can be downloaded and also that participants cannot use the annotation tools until they improve.
    • Can DLT do any kind of scripting for a quick or automatic way to enable recording download and adding to Kaltura My Media (for both Zoom and Ultra)? 
  • Can we create an action plan for assessing why our Zoom / Bb Learn integration is diff than East Bay? 
    • By Thurs 1-12, Marjorie will send follow up ticket to Zoom support person who said there could only be 1 zoom meeting in a given Bb Learn course
    • Mir to follow up with CIG? Timeframe?

Updates from TLP

  • Did a dry run of Ultra and Zoom in MLIB 031 yesterday. Purpose was to test new student assistant role and verify workflows
  • Jim and Marjorie reached out to CDOE faculty to offer 1:1 training on their tool of choice in the MLIB classroom where they teach
  • TLP submitted a list of courses needing Pathbrite enabled to Robert. (Robert, we are still missing a couple of GEOG courses but all others are in Google Spreadsheet. Probably good to go ahead and enable) 

Updates from DLT

  • Spring 2017 Student load date on Monday Jan 16th 2017
  • Upcoming maintenance
    • 1/12 Maintenance
      • Partner Cloud B2 update and install
      • Webassign enabled
      • Pearson Revel enabled
      • OSA and DBA patching
      • UPD application shutdown
      • BbPatch tool removal
      • Patchset script removal
      • Integration: increase prep area setting
      • Tomcat log trimming (replace cookie with session)
      • Kaltura in-video quizzing turned on
      • Kaltura video player update
      • Theme fix

Back to top.


January 4, 2017

Discussion Items

  • Collaborate Ultra
    • January 2017 Release Notes
    • Marjorie and Jim made offer to do 1:1 trainings with people who were using Classic. No CDOE faculty have reached out. Jim and Marjorie may want to start booking time slots in CDOE rooms with individual faculty for the week before school starts?
    • Any updates on MLIB rooms? 
    • Q to DLT: If students use guest link to view a recording, does it generate reporting stats? 
  • Zoom
    • Requests for distance education rooms in basement?
    • Suzanne Hess claims that they are able to get multiple Zoom meetings in a single Bb Learn course via LTI integration. She set up a user id and pwd so we can see
    • Miroslav and Marjorie to follow up with her. Zoom actually told Marjorie that it is a 1:1 relationship. 1 meeting per course.
  • ITPR process
    • Status update from Christine and Robert
  • Peermark will be turned off Jan 5th 2017

    • Marjorie to draft blog article and will also email Peermark users giving them a heads up
    • Alternatives: none that integrate grading with Bb Learn the way Peermark did; Marjorie to post on ID CIG per JPs suggestion
  • Kaltura CaptureSpace Upload Issues
    • Tom Parker not able to upload presentations. He was using WIFI both here in basement and at home. Told him best practice is to used wired connection but Jim tried wired too for him and it failed.
    • DLT and TLP did initial testing and found  inconclusive results.
    • Next steps: Marjorie to recommend Zoom or Ultra depending on whether webcam display is a requirement. 

Updates

  • Peermark
    • Marjorie posted blog article and sent targeted email to Peermark users on 12/16 that it is being turned off no longer supported.
    • FYI – if they do a course copy with a peermark assignment that assignment will still function L Marjorie to send a reminder email to delete old Peermark assignments prior to course copy week of 1/9
  • Upcoming maintenance
    • 1/5 Maintenance
      • MyBusinessCourse B2
      • Webassign B2
      • Turnitin Peermark turned off
    • 1/7 Data Center Maintenance
    • 1/12 Maintenance
      • Partner Cloud B2 update and install
      • Macmilllan LaunchPad B2
      • Pearson Revel enabled
      • OSA and DBA patching
      • UPD application shutdown

Back to top.