LMS Advisory Group Meetings: 2018

April 4/4 4/11 4/18
March 3/7 3/14 3/21 3/28
February 2/7 2/14 2/21 2/28 -
January 1/3 1/10 1/17 1/24 1/31

April 18, 2018

Project post-mortems

  1. Leganto Reading List. Completed.
  2. CAS/Shibb Authentication Change.Completed

Project requests

    1. Blackboard Learn with Safari 11.1 Issue Fix
      1. Fix applied to staging due to the urgency.
      2. We have seen about 10 tickets opened in connection with this

 

Discussion items

  1. Qwickly update.
    1. Schedule for 04/26/2018
  2. Turnitin outages
    1. After several outages this year, staff have raised questions about evaluating alternatives to Turnitin.
    2. CO has a standing meeting with the vendor; Dave will attend, relay our concerns, and bring back more info.
  3. Blackboard Learn MH outage
    1. Late Monday night outage from around 11:30 PM to 1:30 AM approximately
    2. Blackboard support is investigating
  4. Blackboard Learn Email outage starting AM Tuesday
    1. Was resolved late Tuesday evening by Exchange O365 vendor
    2. Still evaluating root cause and possible connection to Blackboard Learn outage 

Support questions

 

April 11, 2018

Project post-mortems

  1. Summer 2018 term load. Completed.
    1. Bug found during initial load on Friday, temporary workaround applied on Saturday by Robert.
    2. Code to be fixed for next available maintenance for a longer-term fix

 

Project requests

  1. NBC Learn removal. Approved for testing.
    1. The contract expired, the tool is no longer fully functional.
  2. EesySoft B2 install. Approved for testing.
    1. Provides targeted messaging built into the LMS
    2. Can also provide analytics data regarding tool usage
    3. Contract starts 7/1, cannot go live before then
    4. Question: will activity data include historical info or only new data?
    5. Question: does this tool support only Blackboard internals, or does it support other integrations?

 

Discussion items

  1. Safari 11.1 upload issue
    1. Started since March 28, browser usage covers 2.5% of sessions since then
    2. The issue causes file upload to fail, affects both faculty and students any time they are uploading files
    3. Safari is built into MacOS, so we cannot delay the upgrade for users
    4. Workaround: use another browser, such as Firefox or Chrome
  2. Qwickly update.
    1. Course publishing feature was successfully disabled.
    2. Note about promotion for cloud features in user settings page.
    3. Discussion about the communication plan
      1. Course publishing lifecycle
      2. Dave emailed Directors of Academic Technology (DAT) asking other CSU campuses for information about how they publish LMS class sections to their students (fixed date, faculty choice, etc.)
      3. Could empower faculty to control this feature.
      4. More research, evaluating options.
  3. CAS/Shib authentication update.
    1. Go-live scheduled for 4/17/2018 at 9 pm
    2. Several systems are moving at the same time, including Portal and PeopleSoft
    3. No downtime is expected (except for PeopleSoft)
  4. Leganto update
    1. Go-live scheduled for 4/16/2018
    2. 14 faculty in FLC, also starts next week
    3. Reading list, documents, etc.
    4. Question about what to call the LTI tool link in Blackboard - "Reading List" or "Leganto"
  5. Turnitin outages
    1. After several outages this year, several staff have raised questions about evaluating alternatives to Turnitin.
    2. CO has a standing meeting with the vendor; Dave will attend, relay our concerns, and bring back more info.
  6. CMT is working with Erik Wasinger to pilot VR usage in a classroom context

 

Support questions

  1. Question about Sapling integration
    1. Claudine asked if this tool needs an ITPR; one is already ongoing
  2. Is there a good way for TLP ITCs to get visibility on ITPRs that are ongoing or already approved?
  3. Some mention about new software with grade center integration
  4. Question about Kaltura
    1. An office is working with distant students, especially on recruiting overseas students
    2. Can the recruiter use Kaltura videos in this context, for recruiting?
    3. Need more specific info about the viewers' affiliation with the university, if any
    4. If affiliated can probably use a private channel       
    5. If not affiliated, would potentially need to use a public channel

 

Action items

  1. Dave will check: does EesySoft support third-party integrations in Blackboard?
  2. DLT will check options for targeted messaging re Safari upload issue
  3. DLT will monitor Safari usage, see if user adoption increases
  4. Robert will check if Qwickly vendor has any premade communication/training materials
  5. Robert will prepare more technical info about options for faculty to self-publish class sections to their students
  6. DLT will check if we can estimate the number of users impacted by Turnitin outages
  7. Dave will report back from CO/Turnitin meeting
  8. Mike will forward Dave information about CMT's VR vendor (Sama?)
  9. Miroslav will follow up with Sapling vendor about new software

Back to top.

April 4, 2018

Ongoing Items

Project Post Mortem

      1. NSSE. Completed.
        1. Addition of links in Blackboard, along with iPad raffle, led to a strong increase in student response rate.
        2. Underlying B2 can be used again for future surveys as needed, although we should control module visibility with an institution role so that users without a survey link do not see broken links.
        3. No issues reported.
      2. Lynda B2 update. Completed.
        1. Added support for next version of Blackboard
        2. No issues reported
      3. Kaltura B2 update. Completed.
        1. One issue reported, not clear if related to update: instructor not seeing thumbnails?
      4. ePortfolio tab and role removal. Completed.
        1. No issues reported.
      5. Bulk calendar B2 install. Closed.
        1. Originally suggested plugin is no longer supported, cannot be installed.
        2. Second suggested plugin is actually for WebCT Vista, not Blackboard; cannot be installed.
        3. Closing project

Project requests

      1. Blackboard Learn Q4 2017 CU2 upgrade. Approved.
        1. Discussed release notes. Marjorie identified a few items to test, but nothing that would prevent moving ahead.
        2. DLT will try to schedule go-live alongside campus power outage, to reduce user impact.
      2. Kaltura video speed option on embed player. Approved.
        1. This option is currently enabled on other players, except for this one.

Discussion items

  1. Summer 2018 faculty load this Friday (4/6/2018)
  2. Qwickly update
    1. Was postponed pending further review by TLP.
    2. After review and discussion, DLT will resolve course publishing feature and then schedule go-live
  3. CAS/Shib authentication update. New date, scheduled for 4/17/2018 around 9pm
  4. Zoom Settings Subgroup update.
    1. Tabled until July
    2. Can we report on what other settings that users might have changed? Would need vendor assistance.
  5. Question regarding CATME usage around campus
    1. Has there been an ITPR?
  6. Leganto update.
    1. Tech issues nearly worked out in staging
    2. FLC pilot group is ongoing, continues into May
    3. Go-live set for 4/16/2018

 

Action Items

  1. Robert will close NSSE project.
  2. Miroslav will close Lynda update project.
  3. Miroslav will close Kaltura update project.
  4. Miroslav will close ePortfolio tab and role removal project.
  5. Miroslav will close Bulk Calendar install project.
  6. Miroslav will move ahead with Qwickly B2 install (test + schedule)
  7. Marjorie + Miroslav will lead Zoom settings subgroup (tabled until summer)
  8. Marjorie will send Dave information about CATME usage

Back to top.

March 28, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Project Requests
      1. Blackboard Learn Q4 2017 CU2 (TLP will send email after their working meeting)
        1. Release notes were sent out previously
      2. Summer 2018 Students Load(Approved)
      3. PACT Local User Accounts(Approved)
      4. Assignment B2 Update (3200.0.5-rel.52+58e0894)(Approved)
        1. Improved an issue causing users to see a message within the Inline Grading interface stating “This file is being converted. The estimated wait time is X seconds.”  While significantly large (>10mb) files may still require a short amount of time to convert, the occurrences of this dialog will be significantly reduced.  An improved explanation of how the settings relating to this function within the Assignments B2 has also be added
        2. Added the ability to configure a proxy server to work with the New Box View service
        3. Added logic to resend documents to New Box View if they fail to transmit due to connectivity issues
      5. Bbutil nodes cleanup(Approved)
      6. Course Dates From Peoplesoft(Approved)

Discussion Items

  1. DLT Staffing Transition
  2. Blackboard Maintenance 3/29/2018( Qwickly B2 install postponed for further review by TLP)
  3. CAS/Shib Authentication (New date is set for April 17th, 2018)
    1. Postponed due to networking issue for portal
  4. Kaltura
    1. Roadmap recording
    2. Kaltura video speed option on embed player(Postponed for next week)
  5. Zoom Default settings subgroup(Postponed for next week)

Action Items

  1. Topics for next week
    1. Institutional License for CATME, a team makes and peer review tool(Marjorie)

Back to top.

March 14, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Project Requests
    1. ePortfolio Tab and Role Removal (approved)
    2. Summer 2018 Instructor Load, 4/6/2018 (approved)
      1. Discussed customized student load dates and determined DLT no longer allows those, and instead loads all students on a set date.
        1. The set date is currently 10 days before first day of classes for that term.
        2. There was discussion about moving this date? Maybe 2 weeks before classes?
        3. Current practice for major terms (Spring, Fall): 10 days before first day of classes
        4. Current practice for other terms (Summer, Winter): discussion with DLT + RCE
        5. Can we track course copies for next semester? Could analyze data bout when faculty are setting up courses relative to start of term.
    3. Lynda B2 Update 1.1.1 (approved)
      1. Not a major update; no new features, mainly bugfixes
      2. Usage across campus is growing
    4. Blackboard Learn Q4 (needs further review)
      1. Needs more focused information. What are the major changes?
    5. Blackboard Ally - Campus Go Live (approved)
      1. Scheduled for 5/24/2018

Discussion Items

  1. CAS/Shib Authentication Migration
    1. Blackboard can use several authentication backends, including CAS. Current CAS service is nearing end of life, will stand up a new CAS Service on Shib servers.
    2. This allows SSo (Single Sign On) across more services for both CAS and Shib.
    3. End-user experience should be unchanged, may have slightly less logins prompts.
    4. Several campus services changing over on 3/20/2018, including Blackboard, Portal and PeopleSoft.
  2. Timeline of Learning Technology Changes
    1. Note the campus schedules two data center downtimes per year; we can align our major downtimes with those in order to reduce overall downtime
  3. Blackboad MH Audits - LMS Maintenance Notes
    1. Based on vendor monitoring
    2. Xythos cross-server communication
    3. DBa recycle bin
    4. CMS resource link pointing to top-level folder
    5. All fixes going in Thursday morning 3/15/2018, no downtime.
  4. Zoom Polling for Everyone
    1. Users can customize their meeting settings, for example by turning on tools such as polling.
    2. If a user starts an "instant" meeting, that disregards their settings and uses the site-wide defaults
    3. Should we enable polling in the defaults? Should we review other settings as well?
    4. Can vendor set up instant meetings to use user's settings?
  5. Kaltura Demo and Roadmap - 3/21/2018
    1. Replacing standard LMS advisory meeting
    2. Meeting Location: SSC 122
    3. Meeting Time: 9am - 11am

Action Items

  1. Dave will send TLP information about student load dates and potential justification for changing dates.
  2. Garreth will prepare notes about the Q4 2017 service pack upgrade
  3. Garreth will prepare notes about Zoom instant session default settings
  4. Garreth will investigate other options around Zoom instant meetings
  5. Garreth will form a subgroup to discuss Zoom instant session default settings

Back to top.


March 07, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Bb Predict 
    1. Analyzing the tool from various perspectives: student, faculty, advisor 
    2. Visibility of some data fields is not consistent across views; in talks with vendor 
    3. Survey for pilot faculty 
    4. Starting work on tool assessment report 
    5. Pilot duration? May end after 3rd semester, depends on funding 
  2. Bb Ally 
    1. Now turned on for all prep areas, as of 3/1. New prep areas can be added manually if needed. 
    2. TLP will update and/or delete their web KB accessibility materials, may forward via links to OATS 
    3. Marjorie will send OATS revised web materials for a second opinion 

Discussion Items

  1. SMS Blackboard notifications 
    1. Nearing final testing 
    2. Possible issue: when an account is first added to the SMS system, it will automatically generate a text message to the user, in accordance with federal requirements 
      1. DLT checking with vendor: can this message be customized? 
      2. DLT checking: make sure that we load current users only 
      3. Meeting with stakeholders this Friday to discuss 
      4. May require additional communication to campus community 
    3. Getting phone numbers from Account Center 
      1. Question from Beth: does Bb Connect support international numbers? 
      2. EAPP ready to update wording on PS phone input form; needs one-week lead time 
      3. Yvonne had sent suggested verbiage for review 
    4. Targeting late March; may be revised depending on further conversations 
  2. Turnitin outage on March 17th 
    1. Vendor has a small banner within the Turnitin web app 
    2. TLP will send targeted email to faculty using TII (this week) 
    3. Robert will send Marjorie a list of faculty using TII 
    4. DLT will place a banner in Blackboard (3/14 to 3/17) 
    5. How do faculty prefer hearing about these sorts of things? Feedback about targeted emails has been very positive, so let's keep doing that when possible. 
  3. Blackboard mobile app Knowledge Base options 
    1. Revise KB article? 
    2. Consider a link to DLT's mobile apps listing 
    3. KB also has a link to "browser support" info that is a dead link. DLT will send Scott a suggested replacement. 
    4. Can this information be consolidated? Several ideas: 
      1. Add app information to Blackboard home page module 
      2. Add mobile app information to TD KB 
      3. Possible to use KB to automate email notifications? Not likely in current setup. 
      4. Tabled for later discussion. 
  4. Kaltura demo on 3/21 
    1. Meeting Time 9am to 11am
    2. Meeting Location: SSC 122
    3. Garreth will send an email reminders

Back to top.


February 28, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Blackboard Predict
    1. Focus shifting: what is the tool's new audience?
    2. Change in approach: "Come as you are" shifting to "here's how you can adapt"
    3. Had time to fix issues, but the delays have frustrated some pilot members
    4. Report soon: lessons learned and next steps
    5. Idea about targeting new populations. Larger lectures? Faculty advisors?
  2. Blackboard Ally - Ally Release Notes
    1. New update coming soon
    2. Enabled for all prep areas starting 3/1/2018
      1. This only applies to existing prep areas; New prep areas will come later
    3. Campus-wide announcements coming in April
    4. TLP and OATS have clarified roles for training, support and basic education.

Discussion Items

  1. Add Zoom Student guide to https://csuchico.zoom.us page
    1. Zoom Student Guide
    2. Updated landing page to include verbiage distinguishing between Staff/Faculty and Students.
    3. TLP has been working on Zoom-specific training sessions
    4. How many faculty have received training on Zoom? TLP and CTS will check and report back
    5. Marjorie will add materials to Team Dynamix Knowledge Base
    6. Nathan will list CTS trainees
    7. TLP ITCs will check consult history for trainees
  2. User Enrollment Removal
    1. Clarify use of instructor's roster management tool (Users and Groups)
      1. PeopleSoft drops -> user's enrollment is disabled
      2. Instructor removes user from course -> user's enrollment and content are deleted
    2. Deleting enrollments will remove user's course content, grade data, etc
    3. PS enrollment changes normally sync within 1-2 hours.
      1. If an add is missed, it should be reconciliated the next day.
      2. If a drop is missed, it will not be reconciliated the next day and will linger until DLT runs an audit.
      3. If you spot issues with PS enrollments, send a ticket to DLT.
    4. When instrucotrs add users, any error causes the "you do no have permission" message.
      1. Send tickets to DLT for manual cleanup
      2. Most common cause of this error is a pre-existing disabled enrollment.
  3. March 1st 2018 Maintenance
    1. Remove Collaborate and Ultra from Course Tools
    2. Enable Ally for Prep Areas
    3. Turn off old Zoom LTI configuration
    4. Blackboard Drive Update (1.7.17372)
    5. Partner Cloud B2 Update (1.7.2017021408)
    6. Mcgraw-Hill Connect B2 Update (2.4.2017020085)
    7. Learning Technologies Module
  4. McGrawHill Content and Accessibility
    1. OATS contacted McGrawHill and received copies of content. If there are accessibility issues in courses that use McGrawHill Connect, OATS will be able to provide alternative formats. The instructor will need to arrange for accepting student work via that format.

February 21, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Bb Predict
    1. Grades are now showing for all participating courses that have grade data available
    2. Watching prediction output to see what changes
    3. Can faculty advisors get access to Predict? DLT in discussions with ISEC.
    4. Dave and Miroslav to follow up about data extracts for Robin.
  2. Bb Ally
    1. OATS presentation about support workflow
      1. T1 routes each department to specific worker(s)
      2. Inventory of documents in Box, notes on each
      3. T2 can assist with files that are time-consuming, advanced, etc.
      4. Ask faculty for help with certain tasks, such as image tagging
      5. Sometimes ask for documents to be reformatted
      6. Ally doesn't process videos; upload those to Kaltura for captioning
      7. Track time via TDX
    2. ITSS question: is there training for faculty about Ally workflow? OATS is working on that.
    3. Example documents: email to faculty, flyer for faculty, flyer for students
    4. TLP has some website materials about accessibility; Marjorie will follow up about linking to OATS resources as well or instead

Discussion Items

  1. Box Inline Grading
    1. Vendor was purchased, previous Inline Grading solution is no longer available.
    2. Some features in the new version are more limited, such as commenting.
    3. March update, should add strikethrough and area comments.
    4. DLT to ask vendor for development roadmap
    5. TLP and DLT to coordinate an entry in the new Learning Tech Updates module, possibly for 3/1
    6. Issue reported where comments are not saving correctly; DLT will look into it
  2. Turnitin follow-up
    1. Any new reports about connectivity issues since previous week? Issue seems to be resolved.
    2. TLP/DLT have a conference call with vendor about other issues next week.
    3. ITSS mentioned some wiki documentation, information about third-party cookies which might be useful.
  3. Leganto update.
    1. VPAT not available yet; OATS is working with another school for hands-on testing
    2. DLT to discuss PeopleSoft integration with EAPP
    3. TLP requested a 10-second elevator pitch for the product

Project Requests

  1. Kaltura B2 Update (5.0.63) - release notes (approved for testing)
    1. Improves in-video quizzing, instructor can set points possible (used to default to 100)
    2. Possible improvements for mashup embeds, mobile responsiveness
    3. OATS requested an updated VPAT
  2. Turn off old Zoom meeting tool (approved)
    1. Old tool (in course TOC) no longer works, but is still present after course copy
    2. New tool (in course content area) works; instructors should update links
    3. Disabling the old tool will reduce confusion

Back to top.


February 14, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Bb Predict 
    1. Collecting feedback: how to improve product workflow + approach, for this or other future tools 
    2. Faculty advisors. Would this tool add value for them? 
  2. Bb Ally 
    1. Currently being used in about 130 courses, about 30 instructors 
    2. Proposal to enable usage in all prep areas 
      1. Would that impact reporting metrics? It shouldn't. Site-wide institution reports are already scanning all courses. This would only be enabling the user-facing tools. 
      2. Adds 5 prep areas per faculty. Largest onboarding to date. Opportunity to communicate and observe system performance prior to full go-live. 
      3. Detail to work out: what about new prep areas created after this change? How to include them. 
    3. Can OATS demo/discuss their support workflow?

Discussion Items

  1. National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) is now live in Blackboard. 
    1. This survey will be posted until 3/30/2018
  2. TA cloud recording in Zoom, transferring Kaltura media ownership 
    1. Recommend that TA users should record locally and upload to Kaltura 
    2. TLP has job aids for transferring media ownership
    3. DLT will follow up with Zoom/Kaltura about improving integration so that it is more automated (ie: remove step where users must configure their username) 
    4. Want to avoid overloading support teams; turning it on now could risk many tickets 
    5. We can consider enabling cloud recording for all students after integration is more automated
  3. Turnitin submission issue 
    1. Several instructors/students reported issues with submitting Turnitin assignments, with browser showing a "This site couldn't be reached" error. 
    2. ITSS and DLT need more information to help troubleshoot this issue. Recommend each student should submit a screenshot, timestamp, and their username. This information could help identify common elements on BB or TII side. 
    3. Potential workaround if user clears cookies (or uses incognito mode, which has the effect of clearing cookies). This doesn’t solve the underlying problem, though. 
  4. DLT sharing project workflow 
    1. Does this cover discussions about new or competing technology? It could be valuable to discuss that during LMS Advisory review of each proposed project. Topics may also bubble up to UTAC, or other groups on campus. 
    2. Does this change other questions, such as who can submit requests? No change now, for the time being we are just doing our best to document existing workflow. 
    3. What discussions should take place before projects go into the pipeline? What information is needed about each incoming project request? Needs will evolve over time. LMS Advisory review is an important step. 
    4. This does not replace other processes, such as ITPR, CAB, or change management; those exist in parallel. 
    5. Potential for other teams to act as project manager, if desired. 

Project Requests

  1. Enable Ally for all Prep Areas - Ally Vendor Website (approved) 
  2. McGraw-Hill B2 update - McGraw-Hill Vendor Website (approved)

Action Items

  1. Garreth will follow up with OATS about Ally presentation on support workflow
  2. Miroslav will talk with Zoom and Kaltura about integration feature request for video ownership

Back to top.


February 7, 2018

Ongoing Items 

  1. Bb Predict 
    1. Had a vendor call earlier this week to collect customer feedback + needs 
    2. Ideas: 
      1. try Predict in a large-lecture class to see how use cases change 
      2. Add a polling element to collect self-reporting data from students 
    3. Issues: 
      1. Some course setups seem to prompt a scenario where every student in a class is "high risk", which doesn't tell instructors much. How could that be improved? 
      2. Product could do a better job framing expectations for early reporting, to avoid users assuming that early data is a definite prediction of future outcomes. 
      3. Reports are prepared with data loaded in daily batches, but some instructors are expecting real-time integration. 
    4. Conversations on campus about "big data" for classrooms.  
  2. Bb Ally 
    1. Pilot access has expanded to about 100 courses and 25 faculty
    2. Conversations about campus-wide deployment, possibly in the next 1-2 terms

Discussion Items 

  1. New Project Request Workflow
    1. What information do we need about each request? Ideally each request on the agenda should include a link to more information, whether that's a short write-up or a vendor website. 
      1. Link to vendor website? 
      2. Link to write-up doc? 
      3. Link to TD project request ticket? 
    2. Questions about ITPR timing. ITPR can proceed in parallel with this process. 
    3. Questions about testing workflow. Testing can be run through TD's project features. Different projects will have different testing needs. 
    4. DLT to continue working on documentation, workflow diagrams, etc. 

Project Requests 

  1. Sapling Macmillan LTI - approved for testing 
  2. Kaltura CaptureSpace SCCM Installer - approved for testing 
  3. Webwork Server + Integration - approved for testing, pending confirmation of funding for ESYS hosting 
    1. Question about requests that require additional funding. Further consideration about process. 
  4. Remove Collaborate Ultra from course tools - approved for testing 
  5. McGraw-Hill B2 update - on hold, vendor pulled this update and will release a replacement 
  6. Partner Cloud B2 update - approved for testing 

 

Support Topics 

  1. Kaltura video quizzing issue 
    1. Gradebook integration is working, but always gives the column a "points possible" value of 100. This can cause problems for gradebooks that are set up to use point accrual. 
    2. TLP will proceed with a blog post about video quizzing, but recommends holding off on banners until this issue is resolved. 
    3. DLT following up with vendor about timeline for resolution. 
  2. Zoom cloud recording for Teaching Assistants
    1. Students typically cannot use Zoom Cloud Recording feature… is it possible to make an exception for TAs? 
    2. Miroslav may need to check on Shibboleth attributes that we're sending to Zoom 
      1. Currently only works for users who have an employee affiliation 
    3. Concern about retention and access after the student has left 
    4. Recommend that students transfer ownership of video to the person/department who funded the session 
    5. Chad to give a demo of Kaltura video ownership transfer process 

Back to top.


January 31, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Bb Predict update
    1. Steering committee is working on product assessment criteria. Will be collecting feedback. 
    2. Questions about research in this area. 
    3. TLP asked about a demo for LMS Advisory later on the semester (Jim will present?) 
  2. Bb Ally update
    1. Depending on Tomcat maintenance outcome (2/1), will likely activate next pilot phase on Friday, ready to on-board new faculty participants by Monday. 
    2. 27 new faculty in pilot, 13 more interested. 
    3. Potentially wider adoption next term. 
    4. OATS is developing a support model (tier 1, tier 2, etc.), will be prepared to show that model soon 

Discussion Items

  1. PS-BB integration pause this weekend.
    1. PS will be offline for maintenance on Sat/Sun 
    2. PS-BB integration to be paused on Friday, resuming on Monday 
    3. Discussion about timing of pause. Friday is last day for student adds/drops, so longer uptime is better. 
    4. Any enrollment changes missed over the weekend will be caught up on Monday. 
  2. Learning Technology Updates module.
    1. DLT is prototyping a newsletter/updates module for technology announcements. 
    2. Showed off the current prototype. 
    3. Separate discussion about making module pages static, to give better control over module placement. 
  3. SMS messaging in Blackboard
    1. Scheduled go-live in March 
    2. Currently focused on students only; there may be future discussions about faculty and/or staff 
    3. Feature will be opt-in, no one will get text messages unless they enable this feature 
    4. Gives one more column in Blackboard's notification preferences 
    5. Need a communication plan to remind users about their notif. Settings 
  4. Blackboard Drive software update.
    1. Vendor confirms that the software is still supported, should work on Windows 10 
    2. Another update may be available soon (Miroslav is working on that) 
    3. Question: what about other file hosting? Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc. 
  5. Project Request: Late Nite Labs.
    1. Content provider for digital science labs. 
    2. Project request approved for prototyping phase 
  6. Leganto integration discussion
    1. Document sharing, collaboration, etc. 
    2. Potential 6-week integration timeline, targeting for go-live in March 
  7. DLT project requests workflow
    1. DLT will be revising project intake workflow: incoming project requests will be discussed with LMS Advisory to get a general go-ahead for pilot implementation. 
    2. Should offer better transparency and coordination with other teams. 
    3. Ability to track and report on each project's tasks more accurately. 
    4. Graphical reporting and workflow diagrams coming soon. 

Support Topics

  1. Copy-paste tickets 
    1. Definitely affects certain browsers using copy-paste from Google Docs to Blackboard 
    2. May affect other use cases -- please forward examples to Robert 
    3. Issue seems to be inline CSS in the copied HTML that sets unusual whitespace wrapping 
    4. Workaround: remove text formatting (either before copy-paste, or using Blackboard's "remove formatting" button) 
  2. Email attachment tickets 
    1. Some faculty members have reported issues sending email attachments (either directly or on announcements) 
    2. DLT is working with vendor to investigate root cause, scope of problem 
    3. Workaround: upload file to Blackboard and link to it in the message
    4. Solution: New email relay server for MH environment had an attachment size limit of 2MB; has been increased to 35MB.
  3. Kaltura video quiz issue 
    1. Gradebook integration is working, but always sets column value out of 100 points 
    2. Instructors can work around this with grading schemas, but it can surprise instructors who rely on bare point totals 
    3. Marjorie will send a write-up to Miroslav so that he can bring it up at vendor's office hours on Friday 
  4. Course copy enrollments issue 
    1. Course copy is exposing a checkbox that allows instructors to include student enrollments in the copy 
    2. Currently there is no easy way to remove that checkbox; recommend that instructors avoid enabling it 
    3. Roster cleanup can be handled via standard support tickets 

Back to top.


January 24, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Bb Predict update. New term started, new phase of pilot. 
    1. Jim has been meeting with faculty participants, reviewing prediction model and gradebooks. Previous term use was mostly "off the shelf", this time more faculty are interested in subtle course redesigns to improve results. 
    2. 0-week predictions seem more helpful than last run, based on updates to the stat model. 
    3. Workflow questions: Can we get this tool to model EAB or EOP workflows
    4. Gradebook analysis tool? Might be forthcoming from vendor. 
    5. Miroslav has been recording snapshots of prediction data, could be useful for analysis later on. 
    6. Other improvements: "no grades yet" option, dropping some section-based differences on focusing on student-driven data 
  2. Bb Ally update. 
    1. OATS to provide DLT with list of faculty/courses in this pilot phase 
    2. Ongoing conversation: are faculty interested/ready to launch this campus-wide? 
    3. TLP and OATS: who handles faculty training + outreach? Laura will talk to Jeremy. 
  3. Zoom - Support Article
    1. Support page links to a "zoom.us" site, should instead link to "csuchico.edu" site - www.csuchico.edu/zoom 
      1. DLT will request this update 
    2. TLP prepared a 19-page user manual. Can that be frontloaded with a "Quick Start" guide? Should there be separate quick start for faculty/staff (running meetings) and students (attending meetings)? 
    3. ITSS requesting tool documentation 
    4. Zoom's support site also has useful docs 
 

Discussion Items

  1. Qwickly B2 project request. - Qwickly Website
    1. Product description 
      1. Allows instructors to post announcements + emails to multiple courses from one screen. 
      2. Possible upgrade (paid): post content items to multiple courses 
      3. Possible upgrade (paid): attach files from Google Drive, Box, and other cloud file services 
    2. Discussion 
      1. How many faculty would benefit from the paid portions? 
      2. How many faculty would benefit from the free portions? Can we deploy just those? 
      3. Should LMS vendor be responsible for building this functionality? If they did, what would the timeline be? Can we backfill with plugins in the meantime? 
      4. Group is on board to install in non-prod for further analysis. 
  2. Kaltura communication plan 
    1. Miroslav/Majorie/Claudine working on a support ticket about video quizzing in a prep area 
    2. Proposal to put up a banner Feb 1st (about video quiz) (approved) 
    3. DLT will open project request: static home page 
    4. DLT will open project request: learning technology updates module 
    5. DLT will open project request: merging small home page modules (if possible) 
  3. PeopleSoft down for maintenance 2/3 and 2/4 

Back to top.


January 17, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Blackboard Predict
    1. Some instructors opted out for this term but we also gained a few new instructors with different perspectives.
    2. Robin Donatello is running the meetings as co-chair and will be reviewing the predictive model
    3. Zero day segment starts today
  2. Blackboard Ally
    1. OATS will provide list of courses to DLT after 2 week freeze - 1/29/2018
  3. New Meeting Location - ARTS 228 starting 1/24/2018

Discussion Items

  1. PeopleSoft Data Center Shutdown - 2/3 12:01am to 2/4 8am
    1. DLT will coordinate with EAPP about pausing the PS-BB integration on 2/2 and resuming on 2/5.
  2. DLT Portal module for BlackboardPortal
    1. No decision made yet but there are some ideas
      1. Additional Resources like Mediaspace link?
      2. Remove the portal module entirely?
      3. Put link to learn on Campus Home Page
    2. Contact ADS about portal updates and the process for approval/notification
    3. Contact Anna Harris about Home Page changes
    4. Mobile view should be considered
    5. DLT will provide updates on action items and reccommended changes at next meeting
  3. McGraw-Hill Partner Cloud
    1. Garreth will test changes to settings on learn-staging
    2. Christine and Miroslav will review the changes
    3. LMS Advisory can review and decide if change is necessary during 2 week freeze.
  4. Separated Faculty Course Permission - Entitlement Catalog
    1. Get instructor permission
    2. Validate through department chair
    3. DLT will look into the campus separation process and see if we can add our own steps
  5. Old Zoom Meeting Link
    1. Marjorie will work with DLT to review this
  6. Post-Migration Speed/Performance
    1. Self-Hosted page load was 1.3 seconds on average
    2. Managed-Hosted page load is 2 seconds on average
    3. Miroslav has noticed some spikes for certain nodes/times
  7. Multi-Media Recording Studio Opening
    1. May increase uploads into Kaltura Mediaspace
    2. Faculty can request use of this room
  8. Kaltura Webcam Recording
    1. TLP will direct students and faculty to CaptureSpace and KMS GO mobile app
    2. Possibly gather student group to test both implementations?
    3. TLP will get together and discuss strategies

Back to top.


January 10, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Blackboard Predict
    1. Plans to review model with Predict team
    2. Faculty participation has been confirmed for Spring 2018
    3. Zero day prediction 1/16/2018
  2. Blackboard Ally
    1. Final confirmation of users 1/12/2018
  3. New Meeting Location - ARTS 228 starting 1/24/2018

Discussion Items

  1. Bulk Calendar Import B2 - Website Documentation
    1. DLT updating workflow to use project requests, which should offer improved tracking, prioritization, communication, and reporting
    2. DLT will continue analysis/testing
    3. Raised point about Highpoint mobile support, interactions with new calendar and messaging platforms
    4. Does this B2 support start time and end time? Are those shown on BB's calendar tool?
    5. Does this B2 handle duplicate events well?How many faculty will be interested in this tool?
  2. PeopleSoft-Blackboard integration update - Notes
    1. Audit module, existential check, and various bug fixes
    2. What will it look like if there is a problem?
      1. DLT will monitor logging for early alerts
      2. TLP or ITSS may see tickets about enrollment errors
  3. January 11th MaintenanceOne Note Document
    1. Cumulative Update 5
    2. Inline Grading update
      1. Jim to communicate changes
    3. Kaltura updates (mobile app, UI V2, B2 update, video quiz fix, player update)
      1. Claudine to communicate changes
    4. Reef Shibboleth integration
      1. Clarification of just student update
    5. Turnitin B2 update
    6. NSSE Links B2 installation (no links yet)
    7. Mobile B2 update (for custom roles, organizations, etc.)
    8. Staff Home Tab
    9. PS-BB integration updates
      1. Audit module
      2. Existential checks are functioning
      3. Improved handeling of REST issues
  4. Blackboard Help Site Documentation
    1. Tend to mix Ultra and Classic support content together, which is confusing. Can we ask them to separate them?
    2. Miroslav will follow up on this
  5. Updating planning and communication for downtime
    1. We will sometimes need 8-hour maintenance (cumulative updates, etc.); to avoid impacting users, we will ideally try to schedule those between terms.
    2. In managed hosting, we now have more options for no-downtime maintenance, such as rolling restarts for more types of maintenance tasks. Those can be scheduled more frequently.
    3. The difference between these two is new for us, so we will need to adjust our communication approach.
    4. Miroslav will put up a yellow banner for the Jan 11 maintenance window.
  6. ePortfolio Deactivation
    1. ePAT is not moving forward with Digication or Pathbrite, so they will need to be removed from Blackboard
    2. Communication to faculty so that they can inform students about backing up content
    3. Shutting down integrations on Feb 15DLT will notify Shibboleth admin so that SSO configuration can be disabled after 2/15
    4. DLT with notify Shibboleth admin so that SSO configuration can be disabled after 2/15/2018

Support Questions

  1. NURS department question: workflow around course permission, consistent look and feel
    1. Marjorie will setup a separate meeting about this question
    2. May also need to consult with Registrar and INfosec
    3. Compare to SWRK model for reference?
  2. What to do when retired faculty want to grant access to course content, but email in from a non-csuchico email address?
    1. May need to ask department chair to verify that permission was given
    2. Garreth to send example case/user to Beth
    3. Beth checking services available to retired/separated faculty
  3. Is there a Knwledge Base update about the Inline Grading change?
    1. Marjorie can email ITSS (Keith Adams) with verbiage for a KB update

Back to top.


January 3, 2018

Ongoing Items

  1. Managed Hosting
    1. Discussion about performance and uptime
    2. Telemetry issue impacting Ally and Predict. Garreth taking over Telemtry BTB case.
  2. Blackboard Predict
    1. Some faculty from previous pilot continuing, recruiting others.
    2. Currently impacted by Telemetry issue.
  3. Blackboard Ally
    1. OATS is waiting to demo and expand pilot to several faculty.
    2. OATS will send DLT a finalized list of pilot participants (faculty and courses)
    3. Currently impacted by Telemetry issue.

Discussion Items

  1. Managed Hosting Migration Post-Mortem
    1. Tickets/Issues are normal and not migration related
    2. Timeline for returning hardware to ESYS - 1/18?
  2. January 11th Maintenace - One Note Document
    1. Cumulative Update 5
    2. Inline Grading update
      1. Jim to communicate changes
    3. Kaltura updates (mobile app, UI V2, B2 update, video quiz fix, player update)
      1. Claudine to communicate changes
    4. Reef Shibboleth integration
      1. Clarification of just student update
    5. Turnitin B2 update
    6. NSSE Links B2 installation (no links yet)
    7. Mobile B2 update (for custom roles, organizations, etc.)
  3. Maintenace Scheduling
    1. Now that we are in MH environment, we no longer directly control downtime. Need to communicate new expectations with users.
    2. DLT will discuss internally how to handle various maintenance scenarious.
  4. McGraw-Hill Accessibility Content
    1. OATS questions about accessibility and usage
  5. TLP to Faculty Communication
    1. DLT suggested announcement modules for Student/Staff/Faculty.
    2. Tabled for future discussion
  6. Butte Data Center Outage - 1/06/2018
    1. Robert will check on impact to PS-BB integration services.
  7. New Meeting Location - ARTS 228 starting 1/24/2018

Back to top.