What we usually consider as impossible are simply engineering problems ... there's no law of physics preventing them.
– Michio Kaku (1947 - )
ECC Required Student Laptop Purchase
Beginning Fall 2011, students who declare a major or minor in the College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Construction Management (ECC) are required to purchase a laptop for use in major coursework. Students who declare prior to Fall 2011 are exempt from this requirement, but are encouraged to participate as well.
- Ability to send/receive email including attachments, browse the network and download files
- Ability to communicate to external devices over a USB 2.0 or better port
- Ability to read and write documents in Microsoft Office format. University students are eligible to purchase Microsoft Office at a significant discount at the university bookstore. Certain Microsoft Products are available via the campus Microsoft Development Network (MSDN) Academic Alliance at no charge – see msdn.microsoft.com for details and login to accounts.ecst.csuchico.edu to request access to specific software. Various open-source alternatives are also available – see osalt.com for details
- Wireless, high-speed Internet connection capability
- Anti-Virus Software
Details (updated May 2015)
|PC Users, All Majors:|
|CPU (no Celeron)||Intel Core i7||Intel Core i5|
|Hard Disk||256Gb SSD||500Gb 7200RPM|
|Video RAM||Workstation capable*||1Gb|
|Wireless||IEEE 802.11 g/n/ac|
|Operating System||64-bit Windows 7 or 8.1 Professional|
* Visit http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534 to find a video card that is recommended for Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite.
To verify compatibility with a MS Windows laptop you currently own, open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System. Under System, you can view the processor type and speed, as well as a variety of other information about your laptop.
|Mac Users, All Majors:|
|15” MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7||13” MacBook Pro 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5|
To verify compatibility with an Apple Mac laptop you currently own, open About This Mac by right-clicking the Apple button , and then clicking About This Mac. You can view additional information about your laptop by clicking the More Info ... button.
- Not all College of ECC software is compatible with OS X; hence, additional software may need to be purchased and installed in order to run MS Windows software within OS X, or your laptop can be dual booted.
- Apple products are available at a discount through the A.S. Bookstore.