Engineering is not merely knowing and being knowledgeable, like a walking encyclopedia; engineering is not merely analysis; engineering is not merely the possession of the capacity to get elegant solutions to non-existent engineering problems; engineering is practicing the art of the organized forcing of technological change ... Engineers operate at the interface between science and society ...
– Gordon S. Brown (1907 - 1996)
ECC Required Student Laptop Purchase
Beginning Fall 2011, students who declare a major or minor in the College of Engineering, Computer Science, and Construction Management (ECC) are required to purchase a laptop for use in major coursework. Students who declare prior to Fall 2011 are exempt from this requirement, but are encouraged to participate as well.
- Ability to send/receive email including attachments, browse the network and download files
- Ability to communicate to external devices over a USB 2.0 or better port
- Ability to read and write documents in Microsoft Office format. University students are eligible to purchase Microsoft Office at a significant discount at the university bookstore. Certain Microsoft Products are available via the campus Microsoft Development Network (MSDN) Academic Alliance at no charge – see msdn.microsoft.com for details and login to accounts.ecst.csuchico.edu to request access to specific software. Various open-source alternatives are also available – see osalt.com for details
- Wireless, high-speed Internet connection capability
- Anti-Virus Software
Details (updated March 2013)
- PC Users
Component All ECC Majors APCG Majors Recommended Minimum Recommended Minimum CPU (no Celeron) Intel Core i7 Intel Core i5 Intel 7 Quad Core Intel Quad Core Memory 8GB 4GB 16GB 12GB Display 15.6"+ UXGA/WUXGA 14" SXGA/WSXGA 17" UXGA/WUXGA 15.6" UXGA/WUXGA Video Adapter 1GB 512MB Workstation video card* 1GB* Wireless IEEE 802.11 g/n IEEE 802.11 b/g/n IEEE 802.11 g/n IEEE 802.11 g/n Operating System 64-bit Microsoft Windows 7
To verify compatibility with a MS Windows laptop you currently own, open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System. Under System, you can view the processor type and speed, as well as a variety of other information about your laptop.
- Mac Users
All ECC Majors APCG Majors Recommended Minimum Recommended Minimum 15" MacBook Pro 13" MacBook Air 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display 15" MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM
To verify compatibility with an Apple Mac laptop you currently own, open About This Mac by right-clicking the Apple button , and then clicking About This Mac. You can view additional information about your laptop by clicking the More Info ... button.
- Not all College of ECC software is compatible with OS X; hence, additional software may need to be purchased and installed in order to run MS Windows software within OS X, or your laptop can be dual booted.
- Apple products are available at a discount through the A.S. Bookstore.