"EOP was there for me even before I started my education at Chico State and became more like a family to me than a support service."
– Veronica Coates, School Psychologist
Educational Opportunity Program
The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) is designed to improve the access and retention of low-income and first-generation college students at CSU, Chico. EOP applicants must have the motivation to succeed and have the potential to perform satisfactorily at CSU, Chico, but may not have been previously able to realize their potential because of their economic or educational background. California residents and students who qualify for an AB540 nonresident tuition exemption are eligible to apply for the program.
Mission Statement - The mission of the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) is to provide access and support services to first generation college students who have experienced economic, educational, and/or environmental barriers, but display the potential to succeed in post-secondary education and to assist the university in the matriculation, retention, and graduation of EOP students.
Primary Goals of EOP
- EOP will provide a comprehensive program of support services that will enhance the knowledge, understanding, and skills necessary for the academic success and the personal development of EOP students.
- EOP will promote social, cultural, and ethnic diversity in the CSU, Chico campus population.
- EOP will educate and inform students, faculty, and staff about program services and accomplishments.
- EOP professional staff will maintain currency in the fields of college student retention and issues facing non-traditional college students through memberships in professional organizations, reading appropriate research journals, and professional development opportunities.
- EOP will encourage student participation and involvement in the CSU, Chico campus community and the community of Chico as a whole.