1. What is the EOP FYE?

EOP FYE, or the Educational Opportunity Program First Year Experience, is a year-long orientation program designed to familiarize students with the policies, procedures, and environment at CSU, Chico and within EOP. FYE also works to expose students to the greater Chico community. The FYE program is comprised of many different components, including specialized advising services, a course link program, educational workshops, and social programs.

2. Why do I have to take the course link?

The Course Link Program is designed to assist freshmen with a smooth entry into university life. The program is designed to enhance students' first-year academic lives through integrated academic and social activities. The program also provides a better sense of community and belonging as the students build relationships with one another. The EOP FYE course link includes:

Fall semester

  • Small Group Communication - CMST 132; Area A1; 3 units
  • EOP Freshman Orientation - UNIV 101; Elective units; 3 units

Spring semester

  • Multicultural and Gender Studies - MCGS 155; Area D1; 3 units
  • Freshman Composition - ENGL 130; Area A2; 3 units

3. What is a remedial class and why do I have to take remedials?

Remedial classes are developmental courses that are designed to strengthen students' skills in English and math. Whether or not a student must take a remedial depends on the student's scores on the English Placement Test (EPT) and the Entry Level Mathematics test (ELM). A student who is required to enroll in remedial English and/or math is given two semesters to complete the remedial requirement before the University will take action to administratively disqualify the student. This is a CSU regulation.

4. Can I really be kicked out of the University for failing classes?

If you fail to complete your remedial class(es) within your first two semesters, you can be administratively disqualified from the University. This means you will not be able to enroll in classes at CSU, Chico until you have completed the remedial requirement elsewhere and your petition for reinstatement has been accepted.

You can also be academically disqualified from the University. Please see the following Academic Advising Programs website for more information on academic disqualification.

5. How difficult is it to balance school and work?

The difficulty involved in balancing school and work will vary depending on the student. Some students do well when they have no time to spare, while others need extra time to focus on school. The main thing to think about when asking yourself this question is how well you have been able to manage your time in the past. Another important thing to do is prioritize. While you are a student, your first priority is to be successful as a student. If working will interfere with that, you should consider taking on fewer hours at work or not working at all.

6. What is Work Study and how do I get it?

Work Study is a type of financial aid that involves earning money as payment for work. You can apply for work study when you apply for financial aid. Many on-campus jobs are work study jobs. These positions tend to be filled quickly, so it's important to apply for them early in the semester. You can find these jobs by visiting the Student Employment Office in the Student Services Center 270.

7. Does being an EOP student make me different from the rest of the student population?

Once you are admitted to the University, you are a student just like the non-EOP students except for the fact that you have access to several types of support offered by EOP, such as academic advising and registration assistance, personal counseling, financial counseling, assistance with graduate and professional school applications, access to the EOP computer lab, and financial assistance (for those who qualify). Being an EOP student is a benefit of which you should take full advantage.