Financial Aid and Study Abroad
CSU, Chico offers numerous opportunities for study abroad through programs at universities throughout the world. For more information on the programs available, visit the Study Abroad web site or drop by the Study Abroad Office in Student Services Center 440 to pick up pamphlets and brochures about the various programs.
Do not rule out studying abroad because of cost. Many programs charge the same tuition and fees as CSU, Chico. There are additional costs, of course, associated with studying abroad with any of the programs. Carefully read through the program material and assess what personal resources you may be able to draw upon for a study abroad semester or year. We recommend that students see a Financial Aid Advisor the semester before studying abroad.
Financial aid may be applied to the costs of study abroad programs associated with CSU, Chico through the Study Abroad Office or opportunities available through the colleges. Approximately 60 percent of CSU, Chico students receive some form of financial aid. Students who previously have not applied for financial aid may consider applying in order to be eligible for federal student loans.
Summary of Programs and Financial Aid*
|Type of Aid||IP (CSU System)||USAC||Direct Int'l Exchange||CSU, Chico sponsored programs|
|Federal Pell Grant||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|State University Grant||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Middle Class Scholarship||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Stafford Direct Loans||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Stafford PLUS Loans||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
* Subject to individual student eligibility
- Apply for financial aid by submitting the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) when you receive it back from the federal processor. Make sure it is correct and complete. Follow the instructions for submitting and additional information or change needed. Contact our office if you have any questions.
- Check your Student Center "To Do List" and submit any requested documents. Please note: award information and all other financial aid communications are sent to your WildCat e-mail.
- Award offers will be made starting in April for the following academic year. Initial awards will be based on CSU, Chico costs. After you have been accepted into a study abroad program, the cost of attendance (COA) will be adjusted. Cost of attendance adjustments may increase your eligibility for additional funds from loan sources.
- You are usually eligible for financial aid equal to the amount of demonstrated financial need determined by the FAFSA. Financial need is the difference between what it costs to attend (COA) and what you and your family are expected to pay toward the costs (EFC).
Basic formula: COA - EFC = Financial Need
The amount you receive in financial aid cannot exceed the estimate of program costs.
- Use the appropriate Study Abroad Financial Planning Worksheet to review:
- Types of financial aid: grants, loans, and scholarships
- How to figure the cost of attendance
- How to apply for financial aid
- How to estimate your need
How Financial Aid is Disbursed
Arrange for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) for direct deposit of funds to your checking account. Enroll in Direct Deposit through your Student Center by clicking on the "Enroll in Direct Deposit" under the Finances section.
If you are paying USAC fees with your financial aid, you will need to provide USAC with a copy of your award summary. To obtain your award summary, go to your Student Center and click on “view financial aid”. Under the Aid year column, click on 2016. Print the screen and fax or mail your copy to USAC, or email by copying and pasting the screen in an email message to them.
USAC will defer payment for the amount of accepted/pending aid for the term(s) you are studying abroad, as long as you are eligible for the first disbursement of the term (August 20, 2015 for the fall semester, January 21, 2016 for spring semester). If you have any holds or items on your to-do list, you may not be eligible for the first disbursement. For more information on USAC’s fee payment policies, please click on the following link: http://usac.unr.edu/money-matters/faqs.
IP, Direct International Exchange and Chico State Sponsored Programs
Financial aid recipients are required to pay the difference between all charges for the term and your pending aid by the fee payment deadline. View your pending financial aid in the Finances/Account Inquiry section of your Student Center.Back to Top