Online Letter of Recommendation Guidelines
Instructions for Students:
At least one letter of recommendation must be submitted in addition to the online portion of the CSU, Chico scholarship application in order for you to be considered for a CSU, Chico scholarship. The letter must be a reflection of your current academic abilities. Please have no more than two letters submitted on your behalf.
Scholarships in these areas do not require the letter of recommendation, but a student's scholarship opportunities will be increased by also submitting a letter of recommendation for consideration of other university scholarships.
- The Department of Art and Art History requires all majors in their department submit an Art Portfolio.
- The Department of Music and Theatre requires an audition for consideration of all music and theatre scholarship opportunities.
- Please contact these departments for more details regarding the portfolio or audition.
- The Letter of Recommendation reference is a required field on the application. If you choose to complete an audition or a portfolio only, you must enter "Scholarship Office" as the name of the reference and email@example.com for the email address to fill the requirement.
How to Ask for a Recommendation:
- You must enter the name and email address of each person for whom you are requesting a letter of recommendation. They will be automatically sent an email requesting this information and instructions on how to submit.
- Ask someone who knows you well and can write about your academic potential, your career goals, your volunteer and organizational commitments, etc.
- A recommender could be a faculty member or teacher, a counselor, an advisor, an employer, or an organizational leader. They should have direct contact with you, but should not be an immediate relative.
- Be considerate. Don't wait until the last minute to ask for a letter. Ideally, students should contact possible recommenders as soon as the application opens in October.
- Provide the recommender with a resume or a list of accomplishments, activities and goals, and an unofficial academic transcript to assist in the preparation of the letter.
- Provide faculty with the course name and semester you were enrolled.
- You are responsible to monitor that a letter has been submitted on your behalf. Monitor the status of the reference request or retrigger an email request from your "References" page.
Instructions for Recommendation Providers:
Please provide the student with your name and email address which they will enter in their application. You will receive an email requesting a letter and instructions on how to upload and submit the letter.
Using the following questions as a guide, we suggest you provide an overall rating that assesses the applicant's abilities, talents and potential for academic success:
- How long have you known the applicant and under what circumstances have you become familiar with the applicant's academic abilities?
- Please assess the applicant's exceptional achievements and ability to contribute to the University's learning environment.
- Indicate the applicant's potential for success, leadership skills and specific areas of interest.
- Describe adverse circumstances the student has had to overcome to achieve success.
- How would you rate the applicant's motivation and initiative in pursuing academic and career goals?
Please include the student's full name in your letter of recommendation. The letter of recommendation should be official letterhead as a PDF or Microsoft Word document. If letterhead is not available you may upload it without letterhead. The content of your letter will be confidential and only provided to appropriate scholarship reviewers.
Your letter of recommendation must be submitted by 11:59 pm December 15, 2013 Pacific Standard Time.
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students: After You Apply
How Recipients Are Notified
2014-2015 CSU, Chico scholarship recipients will be notified in summer 2014 via e-mail, with instructions to accept or decline the scholarship offer. Recipients should view instructions on finalizing their awards and tips for writing thank you letters.