AWARD GUIDE (pdf)
financial aid award,
Online Letter of Recommendation Guidelines
Instructions for Students:
At least one letter of recommendation must be submitted in addition to the online portion of the CSU, Chico scholarship application in order for you to be considered for a scholarship. The letter must be a reflection of your current academic abilities. Please submit a total of no more than two letters.
How to Ask for a Recommendation:
- You must provide your recommender(s) with your full name, Chico State ID, and this Web page address for their online submission of your letter.
- Ask someone who knows you well and can write about your academic potential, your career goals, your volunteer and organizational commitments, etc. A recommender could be a faculty member or teacher, a counselor, an advisor, an employer, or an organizational leader. They should have direct contact with you, but should not be an immediate relative.
- Be considerate. Don't wait until the last minute to ask for a letter. Ideally, students should contact possible recommenders as soon as the application opens on October 1.
- Provide the recommender with a resume or a list of accomplishments, activities and goals, and an unofficial academic transcript, to assist in the preparation of the letter.
- Verify with the recommender that they have submitted a letter on your behalf.
Instructions for Recommendation Providers:
Letters must be submitted online. Using the following questions as a guide, we suggest you provide an overall rating that assesses the applicant's abilities, talents and potential for academic success:
- How long have you known the applicant and under what circumstances have you become familiar with the applicant's academic abilities?
- Please assess the applicant's exceptional achievements and ability to contribute to the University's learning environment.
- Indicate the applicant's potential for success, leadership skills and specific areas of interest.
- Describe adverse circumstances the student has had to overcome to achieve success.
- How would you rate the applicant's motivation and initiative in pursuing academic and career goals?
You will need the student's full name and Chico State ID to begin a letter of recommendation. A total of no more than two letters are accepted for each student. Do not submit more than one letter for a student. If you would like to replace a previously submitted recommendation letter, email firstname.lastname@example.org
All letters of recommendation for 2013-2014 must be submitted online. All letters of recommendation must be submitted by midnight December 15, 2012 Pacific Standard Time.
Students: After You Apply
How to Check on a Letter of Recommendation
To verify that your letter of recommendation has been received, click here
How Recipients Are Notified
2012-2013 CSU, Chico scholarship recipients will be notified in summer 2012 via e-mail, with instructions to accept or decline the scholarship offer. Recipients should view instructions on finalizing their awards and tips for writing thank you letters.