CSU, Chico Scholarships
California State University, Chico provides opportunities for scholarship awards to eligible students. New and continuing students are encouraged to apply by submitting the on-line CSU, Chico Scholarship Application. Scholarships are based on any or all of the following criteria:
- Educational and career objectives
- Scholastic excellence
- Financial need
- Outstanding achievement in school or community service
- Active affiliation with honors organizations
- Special qualifications (talent, obstacles overcome, relationships)
CSU, Chico Scholarship Application Information
The scholarship application for 2014-2015 awards closed December 15, 2013.
The 2015-16 scholarship application will open January 2, 2015 and close on February 15, 2015. Mark your calendar to complete the FAFSA or CA Dream application by March 2, 2015. Scholarship recipients are selected in the spring for the following academic year.
The Scholarship application deadline has been extended to March 30, 2015 for the Watling Family Scholarship for students accepted in the RN-BSN Program. Preference will be given to students where English is their second language. Complete the on-line General Scholarship Application below. The application is closed for all other scholarship opportunities.
Applicants must be enrolled at CSU, Chico or must be regularly eligible for admission. New applicants to the University must have an admission application on file. Students enrolled only through Regional & Continuing Education's Open University are not eligible. All scholarships require that the recipients maintain full-time enrollment (12 units undergraduates and credential; 8 units graduates). All scholarships also require a minimum 2.00 GPA and many require a GPA of 3.00 or higher.
Some scholarships require that recipients demonstrate financial need. In order to be considered for need-based scholarships, you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Application no later than March 2, 2015 for the 2015-2016 academic year. If you are selected as a recipient of a need-based scholarship, your need will be verified, if selected for verification, prior to any funds being disbursed. Do not limit your opportunities by not completing the FAFSA or California Dream Application.
How to prepare for the 2015-2016 online application
1) CSUC scholarships require at least one letter of recommendation. You will need to enter the recommender’s name and email address; our office will send the request. Give the recommender as much time as possible. This process is a required part of the application. Read Online Letter of Recommendation Guidelines for instructions and exceptions. Your application will be considered incomplete without a letter of recommendation, art portfolio, or music/theatre audition/interview.
2) You will be asked to identify specific major/career interests, relationship categories, and club, societies, or memberships which may relate to specific scholarships. Any of the information you identify in the checkbox section of the application should also be described in your written statements. This provides extremely helpful information for scholarship committees and matching your application to scholarships.
3) You will be asked to complete 5 written statements to help the scholarship committees get to know you and provide information that will help us match you to specific scholarship opportunities. Remember to reference information you checked in the interest, involvement and relationship categories.
- What are your educational and career goals?
- What campus or school sponsored activities have you participated in during the past three years? Include names and dates of memberships and offices held. Format in an easy-to-read list with descriptions.
- What involvement have you had in community organizations or volunteer activities over the past three years? Include projects or events and your level of involvement. Format in an easy-to-read list with descriptions.
- Explain how a scholarship will help you to fund your education. Include any information regarding exceptional hardships or obstacles you may have overcome in your pursuit of a college degree.
- Describe any special talent you may possess or your proudest accomplishment.
4) We recommend you compose your written statements in a document editing program to easily proof and edit. Use proper grammar and capitalization. You can save your answers and then copy and paste in the application. Use single space. Limited formatting is allowed to help with readability. Please limit each response to 300 words or less. If your answers are too lengthy they may not be read thoroughly. Easy readability is important.
5) Special department requirements:
- Music and Theatre majors require an audition or interview and should contact the Music and Theatre Department office.
- Majors in the Art and Art History department request a portfolio. Contact the department office.
- Civil Engineering majors require a supplemental application. Contact the Civil Engineering office.
The Scholarship application deadline has been extended to March 30, 2015 for the Watling Family Scholarship for students accepted in the RN-BSN Program.
Some scholarships and merit awards are awarded to students with outstanding academic performance records and special talents. These usually require a separate application or nomination process. New and continuing students should inquire at their academic department offices for information on the availability of special awards.
Students also may wish to research private and community scholarships. See External Scholarships for additional information.
Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions
For more information see Scholarship Q & A.