There are excellent privately funded scholarships available to students and their families. These awards do not need to be repaid and are funded from a variety of sources including community organizations, local and national foundations, state and federal agencies, and private donors. Information about scholarships is free and may be found in the reference sections of Meriam Library and public libraries, as well as high school counseling and guidance offices. A good source of scholarship information for upper division students may be their major department office and the Web sites of professional associations in their academic disciplines.
External Scholarship Databases
Hints for using scholarship databases:
- Remember to narrow your search terms
- Be as specific as you can about your personal "identifiers"
- "Un-check" box which gives your approval for the site sharing information with affiliate partners
Free personalized scholarship searches are available at the following Web sites.
- College Board
- SallieMae Scholarship Search
- School Soup
- Study Abroad Funding
To avoid being a victim of a scholarship scam, students and their families should keep in mind the following tips:
- If you must pay money to get money, it might be a scam.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Spend time, not money.
- Never invest more than a postage stamp to get information about a scholarship.
- Nobody can guarantee that you'll win a scholarship.
- Legitimate scholarship foundations do not charge a fee.
- If you are suspicious of an offer, it is usually with good reason.
What to Do When You Receive an External Scholarship
- The organization that awards you the scholarship will generally mail the check to CSU, Chico. If they mail it to you directly, please bring it to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office for processing.
- After the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office has received a student's external scholarship check(s), the office enters it into the student's financial aid award.
- The student will receive an e-mail informing them of a change in their award.
- Once entered into a student's award, the scholarship is considered pending aid. Pending aid defers charges until the first disbursement, after which disbursements occur weekly as files are completed. After all charges are paid, any money remaining will be disbursed to you.
- The turn-around time for complete processing of external scholarships is two to three weeks.
- Fall: First disbursement of fall term is the Thursday prior to the start of classes in August.
- Spring: First disbursement of spring term is the Thursday prior to the start of classes in January.
Information for External Scholarship Providers
- Mail scholarship checks to:
Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
Chico, CA 95929-0705
- Make the check payable to CSU, Chico
- Identify the student’s name and student ID in the memo section of the check.
- Provide any special instruction in a letter to accompany the check.
- Let us know if the check is for one semester, should be divided equally between semesters, or if a second payment will be sent for the next semester.
- Provide contact information if we should need to contact you.
- Mail the check early. Tuition payment for the fall semester is due around the end of July. Tuition payment for the spring semester is due in mid-December.
- Complete processing of external scholarships is two to three weeks.
When CSU, Chico receives your check:
- The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office will enter the scholarship amount in the student’s financial aid award.
- The student will receive an email informing them of a change in their award each time a new entry is made.
- If the funds are received prior to the start of the semester it is considered “pending aid” and will defer the tuition payment until the first disbursement of the semester.
- CSUC will verify the student is enrolled full-time with a minimum GPA of 2.0 prior to disbursing the scholarship check. If the student does not meet these requirements we will contact you for permission to disburse or instruction to return the check.
- After university charges are paid, any money remaining will be disbursed to the student.