AWARD GUIDE (pdf)
financial aid award,
Indian Higher Education Grant Program
(formerly BIA Grant)
The Bureau of Indian Education, an office of the U.S. Department of the Interior, administers the Indian Higher Education Grant Program which provides financial aid to eligible Native American students. Funds are intended to assist students in pursuing their undergraduate baccalaureate degree at an accredited institution of higher education.
- Be a member of or, at least, one-quarter degree Indian blood descendent of a member of a Native American/American Indian Tribe or Alaskan Native village.
- Be admitted into an accredited college degree program.
- Demonstrate financial need, as determined by the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA).
How to Apply for Indian Higher Education Grant
- File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate aid year. For each academic year for which you will need financial aid, you must complete a FAFSA. The FAFSA helps determine your Financial Need, or the difference between your educational costs and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated by the FAFSA.
- Contact the Education Line Officer of the Tribe in which you are affiliated or possess membership. You must also file a grant application form with the Tribe, in accordance with instructions provided by the education officer or tribal contractor administering the program. For contact information for the federally recognized tribes, please refer to the BIA's Tribal Leaders Directory.
Individual students are notified by the Area/Agency Education Program Administrator or tribal contractor, and funds are sent to CSU, Chico, to be included in your financial aid package by the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. Grant funds are awarded to supplement the total financial aid package offered by the institution. Applications by students usually will be processed within 6 to 10 weeks after all required documents are submitted. CSU, Chico students should check their Student Center for award updates and requests for additional information.
For a complete description of the Bureau of Indian Education Higher Education Grant Program, download the BIE information packet for prospective American Indian college students.