AWARD GUIDE (pdf)
financial aid award,
California Chafee Grant Program
The California Chafee Grant Program is sponsored by the California Student Aid Commission and the state Department of Social Services for eligible foster youth and former foster youth. To qualify, students must
- Be eligible, or have been eligible, for foster care between ages 16 and 18.
- Not have reached age 22 as of July 1 of the award year.
New Students Application Process
- Apply for Chafee Grant by filing a FAFSA between January 1 and March 2 for the next academic year.
- Submit the California Chafee Grant Program Online Application.
Renewal Students Application Process
Renewal students are students who have applied for the Chafee Grant in previous years.
- Do not submit another Chafee application.
- Make changes in previous information submitted:
- Check your Chafee Grant status
Students Unable to Complete a FAFSA
Contact CSAC for further instructions and assistance.
- Students without a Social Security number, who are unable to complete a FAFSA, are eligible to apply for Chafee, providing they meet the other requirements.
- Undocumented students who are unable to complete a FAFSA are eligible to apply for Chafee, providing they meet the other requirements.
- KinGap youth who are/were eligible to receive Independent Living Program (ILP) services are ineligible unless court dependency was established, at any time, between the ages of 16-18.
- Youth who were in guardianship placements are ineligible to receive the Chafee Grant unless court dependency was established, at any time, between the ages of 16-18.
CSAC Contact Information
888-224-7268, option 3